Crispy Potato Tacos
Oct 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Potato Tacos make a great weeknight dinner. It’s a quick and easy recipe that’s on the table in under 30 minutes. Plus, we always love a good taco night. These Crispy Potato Tacos will help take your taco game to a whole new level!
This recipe is sponsored by Wada Farms.
These crispy potato tacos are topped with shredded cheese, lettuce and topped with our Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe! We used Wada Farm Idaho Potatoes, because they are a brand that we love. In this recipe, the potatoes end up crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Potato tacos (tacos de papas) are often found at your local taco joint, and you may have ventured to try them. And what you may not know is that they are super simple to make at home too! The ingredients are usually kitchen staples, and you will have dinner on the table in no time!
How to Roast Potatoes
There are several ways to roast potatoes. You can roast them on a baking sheet in the oven, in a skillet or even in the air fryer. Whichever method you choose, you will get the same results.
Preheat the oven to 425°. Toss the potatoes with the seasonings and cornstarch in a large bowl. Place on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes and then flip the potatoes to continue to roast for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
The best way to get a crisp skin on the outside of a potato is using a cast iron skillet. Get the skillet hot over medium-high heat, drizzle in olive and toss the potatoes into the skillet. Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes with a lid, remove the lid and allow to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until fork tender and crispy on the outside.
Air Fryer Method
Preheat the air fryer to 400°. Toss the potatoes with the seasonings and cornstarch in a large bowl. Cook for 10 minutes in the basket. Flip the potatoes and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes until tender and crisp.
Ingredients Needed for Potato Tacos
- Tortillas – we used street sized tortillas, but any size will do!
- Potatoes – be sure to use Wada Farms Russet Potatoes – as they are high in starch and get nice and crispy on the outside while getting soft inside.
- Seasonings – smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin are what we used to season the potatoes. However, if you have a taco seasoning on hand you can use that as well.
- Cornstarch – this helps make the potatoes extra crispier on the outside. If you don’t have cornstarch, no worries as it can be omitted.
- Toppings – add your favorite taco toppings: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, salsa, etc.
How to Make Crispy Potato Tacos
Start by washing and preparing your potatoes. You’ll want to cut the potatoes into 1″ bite sized pieces. Watch the video below to see how we cut the potatoes!
Season the Potatoes: toss the potatoes together with the corn starch, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and kosher salt.
Roast the potatoes.
Build your taco! Build out your taco with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
These potato tacos are best when eaten right away. However, you can store any leftover taco ingredients in separate containers in the refrigerator. Reheat the potatoes in the oven or air fryer to get them crispy again before building more tacos.
Related: How To Store Potatoes
What to Serve with Tacos
There are so many options to serve with tacos! We recommend our Southwestern Rice, Homemade Fresh Salsa, Mini Bell Nacho Peppers and of course you can enjoy it alongside our Strawberry Grapefruit Margarita!
Try More of Our Readers Favorite Taco Recipes
- Turkey Taco Cups – a great quick and easy recipe especially for those on a keto or low carb diet.
- Mushroom Vegan Tacos – filling recipe that’s perfect for Meatless Monday!
- Tropical Avocado Tacos – another great recipe for those on a low carb diet.
Why We Choose Wada Farms Potatoes
Wada Farms has sustainably been growing potatoes for 80 years. Although they know what they’re doing when it comes to all things potatoes, they continue to look for ways to improve the quality of their produce and maintain sustainability practices. They even volunteer to help out their local community.
Wada Farms is a one-stop shop for growing, packing, shipping, and marketing support. And food safety is one of their top priorities. That means they know where your potatoes have been – from the ground all the way to your table. Their produce is date and source coded so each potato can be traced back to the field in which it was grown.
Crispy Potato Tacos
- 3-4 Wada Farms Russet Potatoes cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 street taco tortillas
- Toppings: lettuce tomato, cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado
- Skillet Method
- The best way to get a crisp skin on the outside of a potato is using a cast iron skillet. Get the skillet hot over medium-high heat, drizzle in olive and toss the potatoes into the skillet. Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes with a lid, remove the lid and allow to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until fork tender and crispy on the outside.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.