Tropical Avocado Tacos
This recipe for Tropical Avocado Tacos is sponsored by Desbry®.
Is Taco Tuesday an official holiday in your house? Your family is going to LOVE this recipe for Tropical Avocado Tacos! It has all the traditional flavors you’d find in an ordinary ground beef taco, but it is surrounded by creamy tropical avocados — taking ordinary to extraordinary!
That’s right, tropical avocados replace taco shells in this recipe. Tropical avocados are naturally double or triple the size of Haas avocados, meaning there is plenty of room for taco filling inside!
Tropical avocados have a lower fat content (10.06 grams per serving) than traditional avocados. This gives them a lighter, studier texture. They are light and creamy, pairing wonderfully with seasoned ground beef and all the taco toppings!
Did you know tropical avocados are naturally slow to brown? Because they take longer than traditional avocados to oxidize once they’ve been sliced, they stay fresh and green for hours (or even until the next day if refrigerated)! This makes them an especially smart choice for children who tend to turn their noses up at browning produce.
Tropical Avocado Tacos are a cinch to make! Just follow the recipe below and you’ll have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
- 4 ripe Desbry® Tropical Avocados
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning
- 2/3 cup Mexican cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes chopped
- sour cream for topping
- kosher salt to taste
- Halve and cut tropical avocados.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seed of avocado, creating a large hole. Dice removed avocado and set aside to use later.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add ground beef and taco seasoning. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Fill each tropical avocado half with cooked ground beef, then top with reserved avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomato and a preferred amount of sour cream.
Serve Tropical Avocado Tacos with a side of refried beans, Spanish rice, or elote corn salad. For a fun crunch, serve with tortilla chips.
Be sure to add Desbry® tropical avocados to your grocery list and give this recipe a try.
Share your recipe review in the comments below or tag us in your recipe photos on Instagram @theproducemoms and @desbryproduce.
Here are a few other tropical avocado recipes we think you’ll love!
- Tropical Avocado Mango Pico De Gallo
- Shrimp Tacos with Tropical Avocado Salsa Verde
- Breakfast Salad with Tropical Avocado
- Tropical Avocado Ceviche Salad
- Thai Steak Noodle Salad with Tropical Avocado