This Nicoise Salad recipe will quickly become a family favorite. Loaded with fresh vegetables and a delicious homemade lemon vinaigrette recipe it’s an over the top salad!
This post is sponsored by NatureSweet®.
Niçoise (French: [ni ‘swaz]) Salad is one of our all-time favorite salad recipes! It even SOUNDS elegant, right?! But don’t let that fancy-schmancy pronunciation and presentation fool ya… Nicoise Salad is actually very EASY to make!
Niçoise Salad is packed with protein and singing with color. Sure, it’s a salad but it definitely serves as a main course as it is pretty filling from all the vegetables. So if you’re looking for a fresh, nutritious lunch or dinner entrée, look no further!
What is Nicoise Salad?
This is a salad recipe that is traditionally served with the ingredients presented in groups rather than tossed together. You can typically find this French composed salad packed with olives, tomatoes, anchovies, tuna, beans and green vegetables!
It’s a great way to use up produce!
What is in a Niçoise Salad?
- green beans
- red potatoes
- kalamata olives
- hard boiled eggs
- NatureSweet Cherubs®
- red onion
- Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette
How to Blanch Green Beans
To blanch green beans simply bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Rinse the beans under cold running water & trim if necessary. Then, add the green beans to boiling water; cook for approximately 3 minutes. Drain well and shock the beans in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and complete the blanch.
At this point, you can either use them immediately for the salad, or you can place them in a freezer bag or food container to keep in the fridge overnight.
How to Hard Boil Eggs
The more traditional method is boiling hard boiled eggs. To do this, carefully place the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover the eggs with at least one inch of water. Set on high heat and bring to a boil. Prepare an ice bath while the eggs are boiling. Once the water has come to a boil, turn off the heat and let sit for 10-12 minutes. Transfer the eggs to the ice bath and chill for about 5 minutes. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into halves or quarters.
Our preferred method to hard boiled eggs is the air fryer! YES! We tell this to friends and family all the time and they are simply amazed. Place the eggs in the air fryer basket. Turn on the air fryers at 250° and set for 15 minutes. After getting them out of the air fryer, allow them to sit for 2-3 minutes. Then place them in an ice bath for an additional 2-3 minutes. Peel and either cut the eggs in half or quarter for your salad recipe.
How to Make Niçoise Salad Recipe
Start by preparing your vegetables: Blanch or steam the green beans, boil the potatoes and hard boiled eggs. Once the vegetables have all been prepared, you can begin to build your salad.
Toss the green beans with the lemon vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Place on a large serving platter or bowl. Next, add the remainder of your ingredients and enjoy! It really is that easy!
Can I Make This Niçoise Salad Recipe Ahead of Time?
You can most certainly prepare the vegetables ahead of time. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours. Be sure to add the dressing upon serving.
Try these Delicious Salad Recipes
Jennifer Aniston Salad – If you are looking for a great meal prep salad that will keep all week and packed full of flavor, you’ve got to try this!
Low Carb Cheeseburger Salad – eating a low carb/keto diet? Look no further than this easy and delicious salad recipe.
TikTok Green Goddess Salad – is a great way to get in those greens! You’ll feel healthier just eating this quick and easy salad recipe.
Tomato Panzanella Bowl – a super quick and filling salad recipe perfect for on the go!
Why We Love NatureSweet® Tomatoes
Besides growing the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes, NatureSweet® is non-GMO, fair trade certified, and farmworker assured. They’re so confident in the tomatoes they grow for you that they include a QR code on the bottom of each package so you can trace your tomatoes back to the greenhouse they were raised in. With so many vitamins and minerals and great care to nurture your tomatoes to sweet ripeness, Cherubs® are a key ingredient for any salad that calls for grape tomatoes.
Related: 6 Easy Tomato Salad Recipes eBook
More NatureSweet® Recipes
- BLT Pizza – a perfectly grilled slice of heaven
- TikTok Feta Pasta – quick and delicious with a dreamy sauce you’ll love
- Cowboy Caviar – great for any party, just serve it with chips
- Cobb Salad Board – let your guests create their favorite salad
- 1 lb green beans trimmed & blanched
- 2 lbs red potato boiled & quartered
- 8 oz kalamata olives
- 6 egg hardboiled, quartered
- 10 oz NatureSweet Cherubs® sliced
- 18 oz tuna (I used the StarKist Roasted Garlic Tuna)
- capers to taste
- 1 small red onion (optional)
- lemon vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp shallot minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 sprigs thyme leaves de-stemmed & minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- To blanch green beans: Bring salted water to a rolling boil. Rinse beans under cold running water & trim if necessary. Add Green Beans to boiling water; cook for approximately 3 minutes. Drain well & shock beans in an ice bath to stop the cooking process/complete the blanch. Set aside. *this step can be done in advance – store blanched green beans in a Ziploc bag in your fridge overnight*
- To boil potatoes: Wash potatoes under cold running water & slice into 1″ wedges or cubes. Put in a stock pot & fill will cold water. Bring water to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium & cook for approximately 12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain well & return potatoes to pot. Allow to cool to room temperature in pot. *this step can be done in advance – store boiled potatoes in a Ziploc bag in your fridge overnight. do not seal in baggie until potatoes are at room temperature*
- To hard boil eggs: ahhh… this is like meatloaf – everyone has “the perfect method” yet everyone’s recipe seems to be slightly different. Put eggs in water & turn the heat on high. As soon as the water starts to boil, start the clock – let ‘em boil for exactly 6 minutes. When the timer is up, remove the eggs from the heat, drain them & shock them in an ice bath or run them under cold water until they are at room temperature. Your result is a perfectly cooked yolk & a shell/membrane that is easy to peel. *this step can be done in advance – store peeled eggs in a Ziploc bag overnight*
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Store in refrigerator overnight in airtight container. Serve at room temperature.
- Toss greens with vinaigrette, season with salt & pepper. Arrange dressed greens in a base layer on a large serving platter or bowl. Arrange toppings in sections on top of mixed greens – drizzle vinaigrette over salad & sprinkle with capers and red onion (optional). ENJOY!
Give Nicoise Salad a try for lunch or dinner this week. Then, share your thoughts in the comments below. Is it one of your favorite salads too?