Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Sep 13, 2023, Updated Oct 12, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe, this Blueberry French Toast Casserole is it! Prepare it the night before with simple ingredients, pop it in the oven as your coffee is brewing and you have a heavenly breakfast!
This recipe post is sponsored by North Bay Produce.
Every bite of this blueberry French toast is pure heaven. With the plump, juicy North Bay Produce blueberries and the warmth of the cinnamon there isn’t a better breakfast on a crisp cool morning.
We absolutely love this breakfast recipe because most of the prep work is done the night before. It takes about 5 minutes to put together. The hardest part is dicing the French bread! If you can manage that, you’ll have a decadent breakfast waiting for you in the morning. What’s even better, it leaves your home smelling divine.
What kind of bread should I use for Blueberry French Toast Casserole?
The choice is yours! We prefer using a bread that is thick and hearty as it soaks up the egg mixture the best. You can use challah bread, sourdough or French bread. We used French bread for this particular recipe.
Does the bread have to be stale?
We suggest sitting the bread out on the counter to get the bread “stale” aka hard. This will allow the bread to lose its moisture. Plus, it helps with the absorption the egg/milk mixture.
If you don’t have time for the bread to sit out on the counter to get stale, no worries! Place the bread chunks on a baking sheet and toast at about 300° for 10-15 minutes.
Do I have to Prepare the French Toast Casserole Recipe Ahead of Time?
You absolutely do not! However, we highly recommend that you do as it results in the bread being much softer and easier to enjoy.
Ingredients for the Perfect Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- French Bread
- North Bay Produce Blueberries
- pure maple syrup
- pure vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
How to Make Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Arrange the bread cubes in an even layer in the pan. Then sprinkle the blueberries over the top. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oat milk, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the pan from the refrigerator, and place a rack in the center of the oven. Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes until lightly golden brown on top and the bread in the center is moist but no longer “runny.” Serve hot, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
More Breakfast Recipes You’re Going to Love
Pear Stuffed Biscuit Waffles – if you are hosting brunch, be sure to serve these up to your guests!
Poppy Seed Meyer Lemon Scone Recipe – one of our favorite breakfast (or anytime!) recipes to nibble on with a cup of coffee.
Keto Blueberry Muffins Recipe – you won’t miss the added sugars in this muffin recipe.
Just Crack An Egg – grab the mason jars and prepare yourself a quick, easy and fulfilling breakfast!
Why We Love North Bay Produce
North Bay is as passionate about sustainability as we are. They have a long-term view when it comes to how they grow their produce. And it shows in their processes:
- Minimizing waste to avoid contributing to pollution.
- Working with the natural resources that nature provides.
- Paying close attention to how their actions will affect future generations.
They are committed to keeping human, economic, and natural resources in balance.
Remember to look for the North Bay label when you pick up your fresh, juicy berries for your Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
More Blueberry Recipes from North Bay Produce
Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf 14- to 16-ounce loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes* (about 12 cups) – let them sit out overnight
- 1 1/2 cups North Bay Produce Blueberries
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened oat milk or milk of choice
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- zest of 1 large lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Arrange the bread cubes ) in an even layer in the pan, then sprinkle the blueberries over the top. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oat milk, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. .Remove the pan from the refrigerator, and place a rack in the center of the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top and the bread in the center is moist but no longer “runny.” Serve hot, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.