Apple Cider Hot Toddy
Sep 27, 2023, Updated Nov 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Apple Cider Hot Toddy is warm and cozy and perfect for sipping on by the fire this fall. Plus, we use caramel vodka to make our favorite fall desert into a warm and comforting sip-able drink!
This post is sponsored by SweeTango®.
Sip on the warm flavors of fall with this delicious Hot Toddy Apple Cider recipe. It’s the perfect adults-only beverage to share with friends at all the fall gatherings! If you enjoy this recipe be sure to try our Apple Sour Cocktail recipe, Apple Pie Martini and Cran-Orange Gin Gin Mule cocktail recipes!
Related: Apple Pie Moonshine
What is a Hot Toddy?
A Hot Toddy is a classic cocktail that is made with hot water, a spirit of choice (whiskey, bourbon or vodka), honey, and lemon. Hot Toddy’s are the perfect slow-sipping adult beverage. It even makes for a great night cap.
For our Apple Cider Hot Toddy we simply replaced the water with Homemade Apple Cider using SweeTango® apples.
Hot Toddies For Coughs and Colds
Hot toddies have been reported to help reduce cold symptoms (as long as you take out the liquor) . The combination of warm water/fresh apple cider, honey and lemon is a great option when it comes to finding relief from coughs and colds.
Be sure not to mix alcohol with over-the-counter and prescription medications. Nurse yourself back to health with a non-alcoholic version of the Hot Toddy.
What’s In Apple Cider Hot Toddy Recipe?
Apple Cider – we recommend using our Homemade Apple Cider recipe. However, if you are short on time, store-bought will work too!
Lemon – freshly squeezed lemon juice adds flavor.
Honey – honey is a great way to coat your throat naturally and one reason it’s good for treating colds and coughs. If you don’t enjoy the taste of honey, maple syrup is a great substitution.
Cinnamon Sticks – this adds a wonderful aroma and warm to the hot toddy.
Caramel Vodka – while whiskey is traditional, you can use whichever you prefer or have on hand. Fireball, Irish Whiskey or Scotch are also great options.
How To Make a Hot Toddy with Apple Cider
Combine the apple cider, lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, then reduce heat and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the caramel apple vodka, and serve immediately.
Serve in glass and garnish with a SweeTango® apple ring.
How To Make Apple Cider Hot Toddy For A Crowd
If you are wanting to serve this adult beverage to friends and family whether it’s for game night, Halloween festivities, tailgaiting or Thanksgiving, here’s how to do it:
- 1/2 gallon of apple cider
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup honey
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 fifth bottle of whiskey or caramel vodka.
This makes enough for 16 drinks. You can either keep simmering on the stove with a ladle and mugs nearby, or pour all into a slow cooker, and let cook on high for two hours before serving.
Why We Love SweeTango® Apples
What’s not to love? Year after year it is one of our favorite apple varieties. Why? With one-of-a-kind flavor and a Big Crunch, SweeTango® is great for any and all apple recipes. Or try simply eating them out of hand. You’ll be amazed by their remarkably loud crunch! Look for them in your local grocery store.
Fall Flavors with SweeTango® Apples
With a standout flavor that features hints of honey, citrus, and spice, SweeTango® apples are perfect for cocktails. While we’re sure you’ll love this Apple Cider Hot Toddyl, there’s much more you can do with this luxurious, versatile apple. They’re delicious in all kinds of fall recipes. Try sweet and gooey Caramel Apple S’mores or rich, creamy Apple Pumpkin Spice Smoothie.
Apple Cider Hot Toddy
1 Cup Homemade Apple Cider
- 10 SweeTango® apples quartered
- 1 orange quartered
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole or ground cloves
- 1 tsp whole or ground allspice
- 1 tsp whole or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 brown sugar
Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup caramel vodka
- For Homemade Apple Cider
- In a large pot, add in the SweeTango® apples, orange, spices, cinnamon sticks and brown sugar.
- Cover with water. We used 12 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the orange pieces and mash the apples.
- Return to a simmer and let simmer uncovered for an hour.
- Strain through a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove the whole spices and skin of the apple.
- Place the apple cider in mason jars or a pitcher. Allow to cool completely before putting it in the refrigerator.
- For the Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- Combine the apple cider, lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, then reduce heat and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the caramel apple vodka, and serve immediately.
- Serve in glass and garnish with an SweeTango® apple ring.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.