Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
Dec 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Perfectly seasoned, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes will quickly become a go to side dish recipe on busy nights.
This air fryer potato recipe can also be made with steak! Check out how with our Air Fryer Steak and Potato Bites recipe.
Chances are you have a bag of potatoes in your kitchen as well as the seasonings to make this recipe happen tonight! If you have never roasted potatoes in the air fryer, let us be the first to tell you, you will never cook potatoes any other way again.
While you can certainly put potatoes in the oven, the crispiness the air fryer gives the skin of the potato and leaves the inside being super soft and tender. Not to mention, the air fryer is such a time saver. Instead of roasting potatoes in the oven for 20-30 minutes, these air fryer potatoes are done in under 10 minutes from start to finish. Now that’s a busy night WIN!
Related: Parmesan Oven Roasted Potatoes
How to Select, Serve and Store
What potatoes are best for the air fryer?
Russets: You can go wrong with air frying russet potatoes! The skins will crisp up nicely while the insides fare soft and fluffy.
Yukon Gold or Yellow Potatoes: These potatoes are perfect for air frying as they turn a deep golden brown, they have a low starch content and higher in sugar. They don’t crisp up as nicely as a russet with their thin skin, but results in a creamier type of texture.
Reds: Just like the golds above, these potatoes will be creamy and soft on the inside but don’t crisp up on the outside as much as the thick skin of a russet.
Do I have to soak potatoes in water before air frying?
The reason for soaking potatoes in water is to remove excess starch from the potatoes. In our opinion, you can skip this step with the air fryer.
If you are making homemade French fries (and especially in the oven) you want to soak them in hot water for about 10-15 minutes and dry completely before placing in the oven.
Can you put raw potatoes in an air fryer?
Make sure to scrub your potato under water and dry before cutting. The oil with the potatoes in the air fryer not only helps to prevent sticking, but allows the seasonings to stick to the potatoes as well as crisping them up!
- While we used a russet potato for this recipe, you can also use gold potatoes or red potatoes.
- You can also use an Italian Seasoning blend.
- Omit the garlic salt and use a packet of Ranch seasoning over the top of the potatoes!
You can serve these roasted potatoes as they are or top with sour cream and shredded cheese like parmesan!
Ingredients Needed for Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Minced garlic, optional
Depending on how big your potatoes are, you may need a few more minutes cooking time. Be sure to cut the potatoes and onions the same size to ensure the same cooking time!
How to Make Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
Start by cutting the potatoes and onion.
Add the diced potatoes and onions to the air fryer. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt and garlic (if using).
Set the air fryer to 375° for 15-18 minutes, tossing half way through.
Serve and enjoy!
Storage & Freezing Instructions
Store any leftover roasted potatoes in a airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat frozen potatoes, stick in the air fryer at 325° for 8-10 minutes, stirring in between. To reheat potatoes that have been stored in the refrigerator, reheat in the air fryer at 325° for 3-5 minutes, allowing more time depending on the amount of potatoes you have left!
Check out These Quick & Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Green Beans with Crispy Chickpeas – a quick and easy side dish recipe!
- Margherita Pizza Bagels in the Air Fryer – grab the kiddos and let them make their own pizza bagels, stick in the air fryer and they are ready to eat in minutes.
- Air Fryer Banana Split Recipe – warm from the air fryer and topped with your families favorite toppings, you can’t go wrong!
- Air Fryer Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Carrots – this recipe gets the family excited to eat carrots! Seasoned to sweet perfection, there won’t be any leftovers.
Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- 4 medium size potatoes quartered
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic salt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic optional
- Add the potatoes and onion to the air fryer. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt and garlic (if using).
- Set air fryer to 375° for 15-18 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.