5-Ingredient Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats
Pumpkin apple dog treats are the latest snack trend to hit the dog park.
Made with two of autumn’s most popular produce items, apples and pumpkin, these treats are the perfect fall snack for your pup. It only takes five simple ingredients to whip up these easy and delicious treats.
If your furry friend isn’t one years old already, these tasty treats are sure to turn them into a verified Produce Pup! Before we get started, let’s look at why pumpkin and apples are some of the best ingredients for homemade dog treats.
does Pumpkin benefit dogs?
Pumpkin is a puppy favorite! Not only do most dogs love the taste, it is high in fiber and can help with digestive health. Because it’s also low in calories, it can be a good choice if your dog needs help managing his weight.
To make these treats, you can use natural canned pumpkin puree (no added sugar or other additives) or you can make your own. It’s actually quite easy to make your own pumpkin puree. With the holidays just around the corner, why not make a big batch and freeze what you don’t use to have on hand for pumpkin pies?
Are apples safe for dogs?
Apples are safe for dogs as long as the core and seeds are removed. In fact, apples are a great source of fiber and are low in protein, which is especially beneficial for older dogs that need to watch their protein intake.
Apples are also important for young pups who need to increase their antioxidant intake. I guess you could say, an apple a day keeps the vet away!
Wondering what other produce items are pet-friendly? Get the answers in our post Fruits & Veggies for Dogs: What is Safe? What is Dangerous?
How to Make Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats
1. Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Next, mix together the flour and baking powder until it’s well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and stir gently until a soft dough forms.
3. Now that the dough is ready, it’s time to get rolling! Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the individual treats.
4. Bake the treats at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes and let cool completely before sharing with your pup. Don’t forget to make your furry friend sit before they enjoy!
Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 medium apple finely diced
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour and baking powder, add in diced apple, pumpkin puree, egg, and water. Stir until it forms a slightly wet dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper (lightly floured if necessary). Use a cookie cutter to cut dog bone shapes. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely before serving to your fur baby. Store remaining bones in an air-tight container for up to one week.
Want other easy homemade dog treat ideas? Check these out!
- Grain-Free Carrot and Spinach Dog Treats
- Gluten-Free Blackberry and Almond Flour Dog Treats
- Watermelon Dog Treats
- Banana and Blueberry Pupsicles
- Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Share a photo of your dog enjoying these homemade treats and tag us on Instagram @theproducemoms. Happy fall!
*Always talk to your veterinarian before introducing new food’s into your dog’s diet.