Fresh Tomato Tart
This Fresh Tomato Tart is a surprisingly easy and delicious recipe to create at home. Your guests will rave about the beauty of the tartlets and their mouth-watering taste. This is a great recipe for entertaining a crowd, and it comes together in a snap.
This recipe is sponsored by NatureSweet®.
This fresh Tomato Tart takes only 10 minutes to prep. Using frozen puff pastry makes this fresh tomato tart a breeze to throw together!
Simply grab puff pastry from the freezer aisle along with a pack of NatureSweet Constellation® Medley tomatoes from the produce section. Then make sure to get some fresh mint and feta cheese to bring this Tomato Tart to life.
The color combinations of the NatureSweet Constellation® Medley makes this tart pop both in color and in flavor. This will become a go-to recipe when entertaining or heading to a pitch-in.
What Tomatoes to Use in Tomato Tarts
We love using NatureSweet® tomatoes. Sliced in half they are perfect and juicy every time. NatureSweet® offers a variety of tomatoes, so be sure to check for them at the produce section at your local grocery store. We love using the NatureSweet Constellation® Medley because it adds a variety of color and flavor.
How to Prepare the Puff Pastry
You’ll want the puff pastry to be at room temperature, so you can easily work with it. Allow it to sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes prior to making this recipe. In the meantime, you can prepare your tomatoes and the balsamic vinaigrette.
Once it is thawed, you will want to roll out on a floured flat surface until it’s about 9″x14″ in size.
Tomato Tart Ingredients and Substitutions
- NatureSweet Constellation® Medley tomatoes, halved
- feta cheese – you can also use goat or mozzarella slices if you prefer.
- puff pastry sheet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh mint leaves – this can be substituted with basil as well.
For the dressing
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
How to Make Tomato Tartlets at Home
Prepare the Puff Pastry by letting it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Unroll the pastry and slice into 15 squares with a side length of roughly 3 inches. Gently score a smaller square in the center of each pastry piece approx. 1/2 inch away from the edges (be careful not to cut through the pastry). Place the squares on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Arrange 4-6 halved NatureSweet Constellation® Medley tomatoes, cut side up, close together in the center. Fill in any gaps with the crumbled feta.
Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes (you can use a small spoon or pastry brush to do this). Season with salt and pepper.
Brush the edges of each pastry piece with the egg wash. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then lower the temperature and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
Remove your tomato tartlets from the oven. Add mint leaves to the top of each tartlet. Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in a 375° oven for about 10-12 minutes. The pastry won’t be as flaky the second time it is baked.
Freezing Tomato Tarts
You can prepare these ahead of time and store them in the freezer. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the baked tomato tarts on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, 2-3 hours, place in an airtight container for up to three months.
- To bake: you’ll want to defrost in the refrigerator or countertop before reheating as stated above.
We Know You’ll Love These Tomato Recipes
Spicy Tomato and Watermelon Salad – all the flavors of summer in one bite!
Grilled Cowboy Caviar – another great recipe for entertaining and feeds a crowd.
Heirloom Tomato Graving Board – this is a quick and easy way to feed guests with little fuss and little mess.
Texas Steak and Salad on a Stick – your guests won’t be able to put these down!
Family Favorites from NatureSweet®
The best homemade recipes deserve the best ingredients. That’s why we love using NatureSweet® tomatoes in each of ours! NatureSweet Constellation® tomatoes are a perfect blend and balance mix of our Cherubs®, sweet yellow Comets®, mini-heirloom Twilights™, and orange cherry tomatoes, The variety is a perfect mix for the Fresh Tomato Tarts.
So what’s the secret to these tasty tomatoes? NatureSweet® knows that to grow the best produce, they need to do what’s right. They’re committed to supporting and empowering the people who make these tomatoes possible, from expert growers to supply chain workers and beyond. Cultivation innovation and sustainable farming practices mean NatureSweet® can pay it forward and treat the planet right, too. These are good tomatoes that you can feel good about eating!
Other Great Recipes with NatureSweet Tomatoes
- 1 pkg NatureSweet Constellation® Medley tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 13.2 ounces ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small egg lightly beaten
- 32 fresh mint leaves
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 30 minutes before making the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Unroll the pastry and slice into 15 squares with a side length of roughly 3 inches. Gently score a smaller square in the center of each pastry piece approx. 1/2inch away from the edges (be careful not to cut through the pastry). Place the squares on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper without touching one another.
- Arrange 4-6 halved NatureSweet Constellation® Medley tomatoes, cut side up, close together in the center. Fill in any gaps with the crumbled feta scattering the rest over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes (you can use a small spoon or pastry brush to do this). Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the edges of each pastry piece with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then lower the temperature and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
- Remove your tartlets with tomato from the oven. Add mint leaves to the top of each tartlet. Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve.