Roasted Sweet Potato and Beet Salad
May 28, 2020, Updated Jul 27, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Wada Farms
One of the very best things about salads is the vibrant colors you get when you combine a variety of veggies. Sweet potatoes and beets are two of the most vibrant, eye-catching veggies out there, and they join together in this salad to provide deliciously deep flavors and a bright finish thanks to the citrusy dressing.
Why sweet potatoes? We’ll tell you why! Sweet potatoes are consistently ranked as one of the most nutritious veggies out there, and thanks to our partner Wada Farms, they are readily available year-round. Sweet potatoes are an unexpected and pleasing addition to salad, especially when roasted.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato
- Vitamin C found in sweet potatoes aids the immune system and supports bone development, digestion, and blood cell formation.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene, which our bodies convert into Vitamin A, which promotes healthy vision, skin, and cognitive function.
- Vitamin D is critical for an efficient immune system and helps with energy and mood. Sweet potatoes are a good source of this important vitamin.
- Sweet potatoes are high in Vitamin B6 which helps reduce the non-protein amino acid Homocysteine in our bodies. Homocysteine has been linked to degenerative diseases such as heart attacks.
- Iron which is critical in red and white blood cell production; magnesium which is a relaxation and anti-stress mineral; and potassium which helps regulate heartbeat and nerve signals are all found in sweet potatoes.
- Since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and they slowly release their sugars into the bloodstream, they don’t cause a spike in blood sugars. This helps keep a balanced level of energy.
Related article: How to store sweet potatoes
Beets are another powerhouse of nutrients, vitamins, flavor, and vivid color. They low in calories, but offer high levels of many nutrients such as folate, manganese, iron, and many more. They are also known to help reduce blood pressure and fight inflammation. In other words, it’s hard to beat a beet when it comes to nutritional value.
Roasted sweet potatoes and beets are a dynamic duo. Toss them together with arugula, walnuts, goat cheese, and a citrusy vinaigrette for a flavorful salad well-suited for a standalone lunch or as the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad
Let’s get started by roasting the diced sweet potatoes and beets together. Simply toss with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake on a lined baking sheet at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes, tossing once about halfway through. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before mixing with the other salad ingredients.
Make the vinaigrette by combining all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until thoroughly combined. You can also do this the old fashioned way by whisking or shaking in a mason jar.
Now that your root veggies are cool, toss with the arugula, walnuts, goat cheese, and vinaigrette in a large salad bowl. Plate it up and prepare to fall in love. After trying this salad, we’re sure it will become a standard in your salad repertoire.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Beet Salad
- 1 cup Wada Farms' Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup beets peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups arugula
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a baking dish or sheet pan, toss the sweet potato and beets with olive oil and salt. Roast for 20-25 until tender. Toss/flip once about halfway through. Let cool.
- In a large salad bowl toss together all salad ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add all ingredients to a blender, then mix for 20 seconds until completely combined. Pour dressing over salad when ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Want to treat your body to more sweet potato recipes? Try these:
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato Hash
- Pork, Sweet Potato, and Apple Sheet Pan