Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Nov 01, 2023, Updated Nov 09, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sweet Potato Pie recipe is a recipe that has been loved for generations. It’s a delicious Southern inspired recipe that is made with simple ingredients and perfect for all your fall festivities.
Who doesn’t love the flavors of fall? The warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and a store bought pie crust, this sweet potato pie recipe doesn’t get much easier!
If you are needing to feed a crowd, be sure to double or even triple the recipe. This is a great dessert recipe to serve up from Halloween through Christmas. It also makes a great weekend treat during fall hanging out by the fire with friends and family!
Can I Make Sweet Potato Pie Ahead of Time?
Yes! This is a great dessert to prepare the night before and enjoy the following day. Simply store the sweet potato pie in the refrigerator wrapped in aluminum foil or storage wrap for three to four days.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Absolutely! If you are looking to get a jump start on the holidays or simply want to have sweet potato pie ready for unexpected guests, make a few of them and store them in the freezer.
You’ll want to cover the cooled pie in a few layers of aluminum foil or storage wrap to prevent freezer burn.
To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
How to Soften Sweet Potatoes
There’s a variety of ways that you can soften sweet potatoes:
First, be sure to wash the sweet potato skin. Simply choose whatever method below that works best for you…
Coat the sweet potatoes in olive oil. Cook at 400° for 35-40 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft on the inside and more than fork tender.
Bake the sweet potatoes in a pre-heated 400° oven. Poke with a fork 4-5 times and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes until tender.
Place in a large sauce pan with water. Bring water to a boil and add the sweet potatoes. Cover with a lid and allow to boil for 40-50 minutes until tender.
Whatever method you choose, be sure to allow the sweet potato to cool before handling. You can run under cold water to make the cooling process go a bit faster.
Ingredients Needed To Make This Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- Wada Farms Sweet Potatoes – we used 4 sweet potatoes.
- Butter – in this recipe, we used a salted butter. You can also use unsalted if that’s what you have on hand.
- Milk – you can also substitute with heavy cream.
- Granulated Sugar
- Spices – Nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Vanilla Extract
- Eggs – make sure these are at room temperature. Set them out ahead of time while the sweet potatoes are baking.
- Pre-bought pie crust – you can make your own pie crust or even use a graham cracker crust if you’d like!
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie
Boil (bake or air fry) the sweet potatoes, allow to cool and peel off the skins.
In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato with the butter until creamy and smooth.
Next, add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture comes together.
Pour into an unbaked pie crust and bake until when a toothpick is inserted comes out clean. About 45-55 minutes.
More Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes To Try
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Sweet Potato Pie and Sweet Potato Casserole go hand and hand!
- Sweet Potato Hash – a delicious breakfast recipe that reheats well and perfect for meal prepping.
- Sweet Potato and Salmon Sheet Pan Meal – great dinner recipe on busy week nights.
Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1 lb Sweet Potato
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked pie crust refrigerator or frozen
- Boil (bake or air fry) the sweet potatoes, allow to cool and peel off the skins.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato with the butter until creamy and smooth.
- Next, add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture comes together.
- Pour into an unbaked pie crust and bake until when a toothpick is inserted comes out clean. About 45-55 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.