Fresh Apple Salsa With the Best Homemade Cinnamon Chips
Apple salsa with cinnamon chips is sponsored by SweeTango.
Sweet, crisp, crunchy apple salsa with a hint of heat served with cinnamon chips right out of the oven!
Is your mouth watering too?
Whether you’re headed to a baby shower, a back-to-school party or your sweet tooth is calling (again!), whip up this recipe for a quick dessert. It includes wholesome ingredients you can feel good about eating and serving to your family.
Eating better usually means no fun foods. So whether you’re trying to improve your diet or just don’t want to give the kiddos a sugar-filled snack before bed, you’ll love this recipe.
Apple salsa and cinnamon chips come together quickly, giving you a healthier alternative to cookies or cake. You get your sugar fix from natural sugar and still feel great after.
Let’s get this party started!
What are cinnamon chips?
Think tortilla chip-style churros. Homemade tortilla chips sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked to crispy perfection. Cinnamon chips are the best when they are fresh out of the oven. Pairing them with a sweeter component like a dip or fruit salsa is the perfect combination of crunchy, warm, and sweet.
Double or triple batch the cinnamon chip recipe to have extras on hand, and quickly toss your apple salsa together for a quick and nutritious dessert. Who knew those two words could go in the same sentence!
Store your tortilla chips in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If they get soft, toss them on your baking sheet and pop them in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Sweet, crunchy, zesty, and spicy all in one bite. SweeTango apples are a blend of Honeycrisp and Zestar apples. Known for its unique flavor and texture, everyone wants to get their hands on these apples in early fall, when they’re in season.
Grown by carefully selected apple growers, these apples are grown right in the United States and Canada. With no cholesterol, sodium, or fat, Sweetango apples add the perfect amount of sweetness to your apple salsa.
Every salsa has to have some heat. And every jalapeño can have a different level of spice. The heat comes from a chemical inside the pepper. That chemical packs jalapeños full of vitamins A, B, C, and K.
To lessen the heat of your apple salsa, cut the white part (pith) inside the pepper away and rinse out the seeds. Love spicy, but your kids don’t? Make one batch with jalapeños and another without.
Corn tortillas need less baking time but they aren’t as sturdy for dipping. If you’re like us and love fruit, go with flour tortillas for extra salsa scooping strength. You can fry your cinnamon chips, but we love ours baked. If you use a darker sheet pan, your chips may bake a little faster, so keep an eye on them.
The smaller, taco-style flour tortillas work better so that your chips are closer to the size of a traditional tortilla chip.
How to make tortilla chips with cinnamon sugar:
First, mix your sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
Next, brush your tortillas with water. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over both sides of your tortillas.
Then, use a pizza cutter to cut your tortillas into 8 “chips”. Bake on a baking sheet, in a single layer at 375℉ for 5-7 minutes, until crispy.
Remove your cinnamon chips from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
How to make apple salsa:
First, cube apples, and chop the jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and zest the lime. Throw all the apple salsa ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Use less jalapeño for less heat. Add salt to taste.
Serve with cinnamon chips.
Why We Choose SweeTango Apples
We absolutely love the big crunch and bigger taste of SweeTango® apples. With a hint of citrus, honey, and spice for perfect fall flavor, it’s unlike any other apple you’ve had. Level up the sweetness in your apple salsa with SweeTango. Once you’ve had one, you’ll want more!
And we’re not the only ones who think so. Apple lovers worldwide can’t get enough of the crisp, juicy, and distinct taste of a SweeTango®. They even have superfans from around the world. Join in the hype and follow along on Instagram!
Is your mouth watering yet? Use the store locator to find out where you can get SweeTango apples closest to you!
Now that you’ve got your SweeTango apples?
Check out these apple recipes!
Apple Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 flour tortillas 8-inch
- 2 SweeTango apples cored, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 jalapeno, small finely chopped (use less to reduce heat level)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Use a cooking brush to lightly coat your tortillas with water.
- Use your fingers to generously sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly on both sides of each tortilla.
- Stack a couple of tortillas on top of each other. Use a pizza cutter to cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. The easiest way to cut even tortilla chips is to cut your stack of tortillas in half. Then cut the halves in half, so now you have quarters. Then cut those in half so you have 8 similar-sized chips.
- Lay your cinnamon chips on your baking sheet evenly. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, like savory tortilla chips.
- Remove your chips from the oven when they're done baking, and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your cinnamon chips are baking, mix all of your salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl. This includes the apples, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, and lime zest in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve with a giant pile of homemade cinnamon chips.