Kick off summer with the best ingredients the produce department has to offer. Today on Indy Style, Lori Taylor shared easy, breezy summertime recipes featuring mushrooms and berries. Not only are these recipes delicious, they are beautiful too!
Mad for Mushrooms
What’s better than a grilled burger on a warm summer day? A grilled burger with mushrooms on top! Jazz up any burger by adding sauteed mushrooms.
Enter the Monterey Mushrooms® “Show Us Your Burger Love” Sweepstakes for a chance to win a BBQ Prize Package which includes a portable gas grill, picnic BBQ cooler and accessories, and a Monterey Mushrooms blanket tote. Enter here.
Monterey Mushrooms® white mushrooms come pre-washed, sliced, and ready to enjoy. Never wash mushrooms under running water. If there is dirt that needs removed, use a damp cloth and wipe it away gently.
Rainbow Salad with White Mushrooms
Bright and light, this salad is perfect for summertime! Its rainbow colors make it a showstopper. The flavors are just as impressive!
- 9 oz baby spinach
- 8 oz Monterey Mushrooms® Sliced White Mushrooms
- 6 oz grape tomatoes halved
- 6 oz orange bell pepper chopped
- 6 oz corn kernels
- 6 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 oz red onion sliced
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay baby spinach at the base of a bowl.
- From left to right, lay the ingredients to form a line (making a rainbow): grape tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, blue cheese, avocado, red onion, blueberries.
- To make the dressing: whisk together all salad dressing ingredients.Pour over the salad right before serving.
Now is the best time of year to buy berries! Not only are they at peak deliciousness, Naturipe® is partnering with the Gary Sinise Foundation this summer to honor defenders, veterans, first responders, and their families. Share a photo or video of your Naturipe berries and they will donate $1 to the Gary Sinise Foundation. Learn more & submit your photo/video here.
Strawberry Watermelon Agua Fresca
Agua Fresca is the beverage of the moment, and for good reason. It’s a refreshing, hydrating, not-too-sweet drink made from fresh fruit. Enjoy on a hot day, after exercise, on the beach, during happy hour, or whenever you like!
- 2 cup Naturipe® Strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 cups filtered water, divided
- 3 cups watermelon cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 4 Naturipe® Strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- 4 slices watermelon, for garnish (optional)
- Combine strawberries and 1/2 cup water in a blender and blend until fruit is pureed and liquid is smooth. Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour over the strawberry puree. Gently help work the puree through the strainer to remove the seeds and excess pulp (there should be about 1-2 teaspoons seeds and pulp remaining in strainer). Rinse out blender and discard pulp.
- Add strained strawberry liquid back into the blender. Add watermelon and remaining water and blend until fruit is pureed and liquid is smooth. Repeat straining process (there should be about 1 tablespoon seeds and pulp remaining in strainer). Rinse out blender and discard pulp.
- Add strained fruit liquid back into the blender. Add lime juice and sugar and blend to combine.
- To serve, pour agua fresca into 4-6 glasses over ice. Garnish with a fresh strawberry and watermelon slice, if desired.
Honey Berry Salad Vanilla Mascarpone & Mint
Looking for a light dessert that’s big on flavor? Honey Berry Salad with Vanilla Mascarpone and Mint is just what you need. Crisp berries, creamy mascarpone and sweet honey—this dessert is a trio made in heaven.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup hulled and sliced Naturipe Strawberries
- 1 cup Naturipe Blueberries
- 1 cup Naturipe Blackberries
- 1 cup Naturipe Raspberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Add honey and water to a small saucepan and heat over low heat until sugars are dissolved. Transfer honey syrup to a small dish and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a small bowl, whip together mascarpone cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all berries and pour over cooled honey syrup. Gently toss to coat.
- Divide berry salad evenly between four dishes. Top each with two tablespoons of vanilla mascarpone and a sprinkle of fresh mint. Serve immediately.
Thanks for watching! Which of these recipes will you be making to kick-off summer? Share in the comments below or tag us in your recipe photos on Instagram @theproducemoms.