$10 in the Produce Department at Kroger
On Thursday, September 15th we kicked off a special series with our partners at Kroger.
Welcome to the 1st edition of the $10 Produce Challenge!
This series will focus on two things:
1) Fresh Produce is affordable
2) The Kroger Ad exposes you to great value, great variety, as well as seasonal fruits and vegetables.
As the Founder and Owner of The Produce Mom, I’m always receiving feedback and commentary from our readers, social media followers, and my personal friends that relate to fresh produce.
Hands down, the most popular sentiment shared with me is that fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive! I hate hearing this, but I know why people feel this way. Before I was a savvy grocery shopper, I also felt this way.
- I believe fresh produce is affordable.
- I believe the produce department is the best place to spend your grocery budget. Bite for bite, you are getting more nutrition in fruits and vegetables than any other food in the grocery store!
- I don’t believe every item in the produce department is affordable.
- I believe seasonality and market variables, such as weather and labor, affect the price of produce.
- I believe shoppers can save substantially on produce AND experience great variety simply by shopping the Kroger Ad.
- I think at-home spoilage of produce is the primary reason why fresh produce is perceived as expensive.
- I wish people would compare their spend AND nutrition panels from foods purchased in other sections of the grocery store to the foods purchased from the produce department.
Kroger graciously agreed to allow The Produce Mom to conduct this case study in their stores.
Here’s what you can expect from the $10 Produce Challenge:
- 6 total shopping trips, spanning 12 weeks.
- Each trip will include a minimum of 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, and 1 organic produce item.
- Each trip will demonstrate “How far can $10 go in the Kroger produce department?”
- We will document our shopping experience on Facebook Live
- You can follow along with the $10 Produce Challenge by reading our blog or subscribing to our weekly newsletter.
- In addition to sharing our shopping experience, we will also provide you with at-home storage tips and preparation ideas!
Week 1 Produce Challenge at Kroger:
Here’s what we got… for $10.02 (so close!)
Pear Recipe Suggestion
View complete Recipe, compliments of USA Pears
Eggplant Recipe Suggestion
View complete recipe, compliments of Kroger
Roma Tomato Recipe Suggestion
View complete recipe, compliment of Kroger
Strawberry Recipe Suggestion
View complete recipe, compliments of Naturipe Farms
Potato Recipe Suggestion
View complete recipe, as seen on IndyStyle
Romaine Recipe Suggestion
View complete recipe, a Produce Mom favorite!
Celery Recipe Suggestion
5 Different Ways to Make Ants on a Log, compliments of Kroger & the Produce Mom
Stay tuned for our next $10 Produce Challenge – this is week 1 of a 6 part series!
Thanks for your support and for shopping at Kroger!
Founder & Owner TheProduceMom.com