Zucchini and Chocolate Bread
This recipe is sponsored by our brand partners at Covilli.
Few things can beat the experience of baking bread, especially when it’s as sweet and delicious as this zucchini and chocolate bread! The preparation process is engaging. The aroma that fills your house as it bakes is delightful. And the first taste of freshly baked bread is worth the wait.
But it all culminates in sharing a lovingly-made loaf with friends and family. Don’t worry, we won’t judge you if you want to store one away in the fridge for yourself! This recipe makes two loaves, after all. Don’t forget to treat yourself!
To bake two loaves properly, you’ll need two 9×5 loaf pans. Make sure you have them ready to go before you start! There are few baking mistakes more annoying than realizing you don’t have the pans you need when you’ve finished mixing the ingredients.
Chocolate bread is always a hit, but the zucchini adds a freshness to this recipe that makes it a perfect summer treat. Cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla give it an even more complex flavor. Eat it as a side at breakfast, a midday snack, or as an evening dessert while you’re cooling off after a hot day.
This bread is delicious on its own, but it really shines when you add a little extra sweetness to it! We recommend serving it with honey and butter for a treat that will really stand out.
- 2 1/3 C AP flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 t salt
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 12 oz zucchini, shredded approx. 3-4 zucchini
- 2 t vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 C bittersweet chocolate, large coins
- 4 T shortening
- 2 T sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and grease (2) 9x5 inch loaf pans and lightly dust the insides with sugar.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: AP flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom.
- In a medium bowl, mix whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. Fold in the oil, shredded zucchini, and vanilla bean.
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures and stir until lightly mixed. Then fold in the sour cream and chocolate until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between the two baking loaf pans and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and cooked through. You can test the middle of the bread by using a cake tester. If the bread begins to get to dark, you can cover the the loaf pan lightly with foil.
- Let the bread loaves cool completely before slicing and serving. Serve with butter and honey.
Who is Covilli?
We’re excited about this zucchini and chocolate bread, but we’re even more thrilled to be working with Covilli Brand Organics. A family-owned farm based in the fertile Empalme Valley of Sonora, Mexico, Covilli strives to grow organic produce with sustainable and fair methods. When you buy Covilli, you’re buying some of the best produce around!
This is a brand with an eye on the future, not just on profits. They strive to make a positive impact on the environment, on their workers, and on the international farming community. Covilli is Fair Trade Certified and gives its workers fair wages and benefits like health care and education. By buying Covilli produce, you’re using your dollars to cast a vote for a better future.
Was this zucchini and chocolate bread a hit with your friends and family? Tell us in the comments below!