Red, White, & Blueberry Mini Trifles
Mini Berry Trifles with a big patriotic spirit!
Are you looking for a red, white, and blue dessert to serve on July 4th? This mini berry trifle recipe has a patriotic color combination to help you celebrate America’s Independence Day. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries are combined with whipped cream, vanilla pudding, and angel food cake to create a beautiful, summery dessert.
This is one of those recipes that looks impressive, but actually doesn’t take all that much effort to create (aka our favorite type of recipe!). To keep things easy, use store-bought angel food cake and instant pudding. If you love to bake or really want to show-off, you could certainly make your own cake, pudding, or even whipped cream. But truly, there is no need.
The most important feature of any good trifle is distinct layers of spongy cake, cream, and fruits. There really isn’t a hard and fast rule for how to build your layers, but we like layering the pudding next to the angel food cake so it soaks into it a bit. We also suggest making your last layer whipped cream. This will act as the “white” in your patriotic color scheme. Plus, it will hold the top berries in place.
Learn how to Store and Handle Berries to Maximize Shelf Life.
Typically, trifles are served in one large trifle dish. We chose to serve our trifle in individual plastic 9 ounce cups because it’s easier to serve and eat at a Fourth of July picnic or grill-out. There’s no need for a serving spoon or bowls. Your guests can simply grab one of these handheld cups and a plastic spoon and wander back out into the yard to join the party.
PRODUCE MOMS TIP: If you’d rather serve your trifle the traditional way, follow the same recipe but use a trifle dish rather than individual cups. You may need increase some of the ingredients depending on the size of your trifle dish.
- 2 3.5 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 12 oz angel food cake store bought ok, cut into cubes
- 8 oz whipped cream
- 1 pkg blueberries
- 1 pkg raspberries
- 1 pkg strawberries sliced thinly
- 1 pkg blackberries
- 9 oz mini plastic cups
- Make pudding according to package instructions.
- Add a thin layer of pudding in each cup. Add a layer of angel food cake cubes. Add a thin layer of whipped cream. Add a layer of strawberries and blueberries. Repeat pudding, angel food, and whipped cream layers.
- Top each cup with raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. For best results, store in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours and wait to top each cup with berries until right before serving.
This patriotic dessert also works great on Memorial Day and Labor Day. Pin it so you have the recipe ready for all of your summer holidays.
Have a safe and happy 4th! Share your patriotic Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle photos with us on Instagram @theproducemoms.