Grapefruit: How to Select, Store & Serve
Apr 16, 2015, Updated Aug 04, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today’s #ProduceChallenge is Grapefruit!
Grapefruit – a fruit that can be served at breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a dessert! Grapefruits are bursting with a tangy and unique flavor that won’t leave you disappointed. This produce variety is also extremely versatile and makes dishes 10x better. Now, there is no reason to skip breakfast! Not only is the flavor amazing, so are the nutritional benefits associated with grapefruits: fat free, cholesterol free, and sodium free! They are also high in Vitamin A and C, which are essential for adequate growth and development.
Did you know a grapefruit gets its name from how it grows on a tree? When this fruit grows, it produces little clusters resembling grapes that eventually form into the fruit we know today. This is why they are called “grapefruits” – who knew?!
Pick up a grapefruit this week at your local grocery store and follow these tips on how to select, store, and serve this delicious produce!
How to Select Grapefruit
- The skin should be smooth and firm without bruising
- The fruit should feel heavy for its size
How to Store Grapefruit
- Grapefruits can be stored at room temperature for approximately a week
- To increase shelf life, store in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks
How to Serve Grapefruit
- You can’t go wrong when serving grapefruit! The unique flavor will add the perfect touch to your recipes and will have your friends and family asking for seconds.
- Grapefruits are also great to eat alone so grab your spoon and enjoy!
Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
Enjoy your produce pick & let me know your favorite recipe that incorporates a grapefruit 🙂
xoxo The Produce Mom