Grapefruit Avocado Spinach Salad
Sep 09, 2022, Updated Feb 15, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Pro Citrus Network.
Looking for a quick and easy salad recipe that is packed full of flavor and nutrients? You are going to love how quick this Grapefruit Avocado Salad comes together. Grapefruit and avocado quite simply are the perfect pair as they elevate this simple salad.
Let’s face it, salads can become a bit boring. Over the years, we’ve found that we always come back to salad recipes that add in fruits. This Grapefruit Avocado Salad is light and refreshing. Plus, it comes together in just a matter of minutes.
The rich and creamy avocado mixes well with the slight tartness of the grapefruit. Add on a citrus-based dressing, and you will have the perfect salad. Not only does it taste great and is packed-full of nutrients, this salad is stunning on the dinner table. Almost too pretty to eat…almost!
Benefits to Eating Grapefruit
In addition to an abundance of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, grapefruit contains glucarate compounds which may help prevent breast cancer. Grapefruit gets its red to pink flesh color from lycopene, which demonstrates an ability to help fight free radical compounds that can damage cells.
Related: Eating Citrus Makes a Difference
Substitutions for Grapefruit Avocado Salad
You’ll want to keep the base to this recipe, which is the grapefruit and avocado. However, you can substitute out a few of the ingredients for:
Instead of spinach you could use:
- romaine lettuce
- spring mix
Rather than lime juice and lime zest you could use:
- lemon juice and lemon zest
- any vinaigrette or dressing
Instead of using a shallots, you could use:
- sweet or red onion
Recipes to Enjoy with this Grapefruit Avocado Salad Recipe
We love to eat this salad on its own, but it also pairs well with other dishes. Some of our favorites are listed below.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Grapefruit Avocado Salad
- grapefruit – the citrus from the grapefruit gives the salad a sweet twist
- avocado – adds a bit of creaminess
- spinach – adds extra nutrients
- shallot – adds a bit of a bite to the dressing
- olive oil – this is the base of the vinaigrette and brings the rest of the ingredients together
- sugar – adds a bit of sweetness to the dressing and helps to offset the tartness
- salt – helps to balance out the dressing ingredients
- lime zest & lime juice – adds a bit of lime flavor to offset the sweetness
How to Make Grapefruit Avocado Salad
Start by segmenting the grapefruit. First, slice about a 1/2″ off from the top and the bottom of the grapefruit. Next, cut away the peel from the grapefruit. Then, use your knife to cut alongside the white membrane of the grapefruit.
Continue to work around the grapefruit until you have cut out all of the segments of the grapefruit. This is shown in the video below if you are a visual learner!
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Then, peel the skin, and slice the avocado.
Place the avocado and grapefruit over the lettuce over the spinach.
Next, in a small bowl, whisk the shallot, oregano, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, sugar and salt until well combined.
Finally, pour the citrus dressing over the top of the salad.
Serve and enjoy!
More ways to Enjoy Grapefruit
Grapefruit Avocado Spinach Salad
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 2 Grapefruits peeled and segmented
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Lime Juice
- 1 Lime Zest
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 16 oz baby spinach
- Start by peeling and slicing the avocado.
- Next, peel and segment the grapefruit (shown in the video).
- In a small bowl, whisk the shallot, oregano, lime zest and juice, olive oil, sugar and salt together until well combined.
- Build your salad. Layer the spinach, avocado and grapefruit. Pour the citrus dressing over the dressing and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.