Field of Guacamole
Sep 03, 2014, Updated Apr 01, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Football season has returned, hallelujah! No tailgate party is complete without guacamole!!!
Thanks to avocado’s natural shade of vibrant green, it’s easy to turn guacamole into a football field. Simply assemble the guacamole and spread it evenly in a rectangular pan. Then, use sour cream piped into a zipper bag to decorate the field. Pipe on yard lines and designate Xs for defense and Os for the offense. Small yellow and red grape or cherry tomatoes can be arranged in a football formation to look like the players. Get creative! Serve and watch your guests tear up the field!
Field of Guacamole
- 6 avocado seeded, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 3 lime juice only
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large roma tomato seeded and diced
- 2 medium jalapeno seeded if desired and diced
- 2 cups cheese Mexican blend or finely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 pint sour cream
- food coloring for team colors (optional)
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- Mash avocados with lime juice and salt in large bowl, until just creamy. Add diced onion, tomatoes, jalapeños and cilantro and combine gently. Stir in grated cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt if desired. In a glass 9x13 (rectangular) pan, spread mixture evenly and smoothly.
- If using sour cream for team colors, divide it into three bowls. Tint one portion with desired amount of food coloring, repeat for second bowl, and leave third bowl plain. To create design of guacamole, follow next procedure for piping, using three separate plastic zipper bags.
- Place sour cream in a zipper bag and squeeze carefully to let all air escape before sealing. Squeeze all the sour cream to one corner and snip a tiny hole in the bottom of that corner. Now use the bag as a pastry bag to pipe your design. Use plain white to pipe on the yard lines and colored sour creams to designate Xs for the defense and Os for the offense. Or, use small yellow and red grape or cherry tomatoes and arrange in a football formation.
- Tuck a few tortilla chips around the edges of the pan to add color and eye-appeal. Place remaining chips in a serving basket. Serve and watch your guests tear up the field!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Watch this video to watch how to assemble your guacamole football field: