Fennel Apple Salad
Oct 11, 2023, Updated Nov 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Fennel Apple Salad is a light and tangy side dish that is made with SweeTango® apples, cabbage, fennel, red onion, fresh basil and topped with a quick homemade vinaigrette. The combination of flavors in this salad will have you making it on repeat!
This recipe is sponsored by SweeTango®.
If you love a quick and easy slaw-style recipe, this fennel apple salad is a great option to try! The crisp SweeTango® apples with the licorice flavor of fennel and the bite of a red onion will have your taste buds rejoicing. The flavor combinations are wonderfully delicious! This is a unique and unexpected recipe that always gets rave reviews!
How To Prevent Apples From Browning
The reason apples brown so quickly is the polyphenol acid found in apples absorbs the oxygen after being cut into. The ascorbic acid in citrus helps absorb the oxygen and acts as a barrier.
There are two quick ways to prevent your apples from browning:
- Mix water and any citrus juice together (lemon and lime are most common). After slicing and peeling the apple, immediately place in a bowl with this mixture and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- You can also use lemon lime soda. Again, place the prepared apples in a bowl and let them sit for a couple of minutes.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to drain completely and dry the apples. One reason we love using SweeTango® apples for this recipe is because they are slow to oxidize which means they won’t brown as quickly as some other apple varieties.
Ingredients for Fennel Apple Salad Recipe
- 2 SweeTango® apples
- green cabbage
- red onion
- kosher salt
For the Vinaigrette
- apple cider vinegar
- canola oil
- celery seed
How to Make Fennel Apple Salad
In a large bowl, combine the julienned SweeTango® apples, shredded cabbage, shaved fennel, and sliced red onion. Season with the salt and toss to combine.
In a mason jar or small blow, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Lightly pour the vinaigrette over the slaw ingredients, using just enough to lightly coat all the slaw. Toss to evenly distribute the vinaigrette. Fold in the chopped basil.
Sprinkle the slaw with the reserved fennel fronds for an extra beautiful presentation!
How to Store Leftovers
Place any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can enjoy it cold or leave it out at room temperature for 20 minutes before enjoying.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Sweet Apple Slaw – another great slaw recipe that’s also quick to prepare.
- French Onion Mac & Cheese – a great crowd pleaser and one that French Onion Soup fans will devour!
- Parmesan Crusted Potatoes – the ultimate side dish to any mea.
- Honey Butter Skillet Corn Recipe – tired of boring old corn? Try this delicious corn side dish recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
Why We Choose SweeTango® Apples
We absolutely love the big crunch and bigger taste of SweeTango® apples. With a hint of citrus, honey, and spice for perfect fall flavor, it’s unlike any other apple you’ve had. Once you’ve had one, you’ll want more!
And we’re not the only ones who think so. Apple lovers worldwide can’t get enough of the crisp, juicy, and distinct taste of a SweeTango®. They even have superfans from around the world. Join in the hype and follow along on Instagram or use their store locator to find where you can pick up your next SweeTango®!
Fennel Apple Salad
For the Salad
- 2 SweeTango® apples peeled, cored and julienned
- 1 small green cabbage shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly shaved (about 1 cup), reserve the fronds for garnish
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the julienned SweeTango®, shredded cabbage, shaved fennel, and sliced red onion. Season with the salt and toss to combine.
- In a mason jar or small blow, whisk together the dressing ingredients.. Lightly pour the vinaigrette over the slaw ingredients, using just enough to lightly coat all the slaw. Toss to evenly distribute the vinaigrette. Fold in the chopped basil.
- Sprinkle the slaw with the reserved fennel fronds.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.