Chipotle Rice Recipe
Jan 16, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are a fan of Chipotle and their rice, this Copycat Chipotle Rice recipe is for you! White rice with fresh lime zest, juice and of course cilantro is all that you need. Now you will be able to make restaurant-style rice at home!
This Copycat Chipotle Rice recipe is one that is fool proof with a end result of fluffy and soft rice that’s packed full of lime and cilantro flavors, just like your favorite restaurant!
This copycat recipe starts with fluffy white rice. You can use whatever rice you prefer, white or brown. The flavors come from the lime juice, lime zest and the cilantro. We often serve this chipotle rice along side our Mexican Street Corn Baked Potatoes!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy side dish
- The flavors are just like the rice you’ll find at Chipotle
- Simple ingredients: rice, lime and cilantro is all you need
- Can be used as a base of a “bowl”, in a taco or simply as a side dish
Tips For Rice
- If your rice is a bit dry, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Short grain rice, like a minute rice, often clumps together very easily. Our recipe developer uses equal amounts of water and rice when preparing short grain rice.
- A long grain rice, like a jasmine or basmati is a more firm rice that has a dry texture and is perfect for recipes like this.
How to Zest a Lime
Begin by washing the lime and dry.
Using a zester, grate the zest rotating once you begin to see the white part of the lime. This is often bitter and you don’t want to add. Continue grating and rotating until all the zest of the lime has been added.
Ingredients for Chipotle Rice
- Bay leaf (optional)
If you choose to use a bay leaf, you can place in the boiling water before adding the rice to the pan. This will give the rice a more earthy flavor. Our recipe developer has made this copycat rice recipe both ways. And you can’t really tell a difference in the flavors.
How to Make Chipotle Rice Recipe at Home
Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
Zest your lime and then juice it.
Place the chopped cilantro in the pan.
Stir to combine, and enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Rice
You can either place in a freezer Ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You’ll want to thaw as needed in the refrigerator. If you want to use leftovers for a quick lunch, place in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes To Enjoy
- Mexican Pasta Salad – a quick and easy side dish recipe that is great for serving guests!
- Grilled Cowboy Caviar – a grilled version of your favorite appetizer recipe.
- Tropical Avocado Tacos – a healthy recipe and perfect for those following a low carb/keto diet.
- 3 c rice cooked
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- ½ c cilantro chopped
- Once the rice has cooked through, add lime juice, lime zest and cilantro.
- Stir until combined.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.