California Sassy Salsa Kabobs
This recipe is sponsored by NatureSweet®.
From the star-studded streets of Hollywood to the towering sequoia trees of Redwood National Park, California has it all. Travel to lush wine country, the majestic Sierra Nevada, or bustling cities like San Francisco (be sure to wear some flowers in your hair) and you’ll find diverse people from all walks of life – and all kinds of delicious dishes, too! We created these California Sassy Salsa Kabobs as an homage to this great state using NatureSweet Glorys® and Cherubs®.
How to Make California Sassy Salsa Kabobs
These California Sassy Salsa Kabobs will fit right into any west coast kitchen. Made with savory prosciutto, sweet cantaloupe, and of course juicy NatureSweet Glorys®, these grilled kabobs combine a variety of flavors on a single satisfying skewer.
But this dish is more than just kabobs. Serve them over a bed of this unique salsa for a truly sassy, spicy flavor. We made this colorful salsa using chopped NatureSweet Cherubs®, freshly grilled corn, orange bell peppers, and red onion. Jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, and lime give it a spicy and citrusy kick that you’ll love to serve.
These kabobs and salsa were made for each other – that’s why we called this recipe California Sassy Salsa Kabobs. But this salsa just might become one of your favorites. Serve this meal with tortilla chips on the side and dip them into the salsa. If you have leftover salsa, save it for Taco Tuesday. It keeps well in the fridge!
California Sassy Salsa Kabobs
- 4-5 ears of corn grilled and cut off the cob
- 1 cup Cherubs® tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup orange bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 limes juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cantaloupe cut into chunks
- 1 package Glorys®
- 1 package prosciutto
- 1 tsp avocado oil optional, for veggie grill basket
- Add each ingredient to a bowl and stir until evenly mixed.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 1-2 hours.
- Cut cantaloupe in squares.
- Start building the skewers with the prosciutto slice. Pierce the skewer through one end of the prosciutto slice to secure it.
- Add 1 tomato - 1 square of cantaloupe - 1 tomato to the skewer.
- Wrap the prosciutto around the tomato/cantaloupe and secure it on the other end of the skewer by piercing the prosciutto with the skewer.
- Add the additional 1 tomato - 1 cantaloupe - 1 tomato.
- Wrap the remaining prosciutto around the last 2 squares of cantaloupe and secure by piercing with the skewer. The skewers can be prepared ahead of time until this point.
- When ready to grill, set the grill to medium high heat, or about 450-500 degrees.
- If using a veggie tray, grease with a tiny bit of avocado oil (or other oil that you have on hand).
- Grill for 3-4 minutes until prosciutto on the grill side is firm and slightly darkened. You should see browning on the prosciutto and cantaloupe.
- Flip to the other side and grill and additional 2-3 minutes until the prosciutto is firm and slightly darkened on both sides.
- Serve and enjoy!
On the Road with NatureSweet Tomatoes
At this stop in NatureSweet’s Recipe Roadtrip, we’re celebrating everything there is to love about Californian cuisine. West coast cooking is all about using the freshest, most flavorful ingredients… because there are so many of them available!
California is home to a rich farming industry. In fact, it has the highest agricultural output of any state! Visit a California farm and you’re likely to find almonds, avocados, walnuts, rice, or grapes, some of the state’s most popular crops, though it’s home to many more fruits and vegetables.
With their big, bold flavor, NatureSweet Glorys® and Cherubs® are perfect for any Cali dish. These bright red tomatoes make great snacks by themselves or ingredients in all kinds of recipes, including these California Sassy Salsa Kabobs. Their container doubles as a colander, so they’re ready to eat or cook in just seconds. Just peel off the label and wash them in the package!
These tomatoes are worth loving because they’re grown right! Across its farms, NatureSweet is committed to growing delicious tomatoes through innovative cultivation techniques and sustainable practices.
NatureSweet is built on the people who make its tasty tomatoes possible at every level of the supply chain. They’ve developed a team that truly cares about the produce they grow and ship by supporting them, their families, and their communities. Hear all about NatureSweet’s commitment to Fair Trade Certified produce in Episode 144 of The Produce Moms Podcast.
Where To Next?
Your friends and family will crave these California Sassy Salsa Kabobs… although they might get their tongues twisted trying to say it! When the last skewer has been savored, check out more of the stops on NatureSweet’s culinary road trip here.
Want to share your kabob experience with us? Tag us on Instagram @theproducemoms and @nstomatoes!