Bell Peppers: How to Select, Store and Serve
Bell Peppers are known for their sweet & tangy flavor—making them a very popular vegetable in the United States. Did you know that bell peppers have more Vitamin C than an orange?! Bell peppers are in their peak season in summer but can be found any time of year.
How to select, store & serve bell peppers:
- When shopping, search for brightly colored peppers with a firm skin that yields to slight pressure- skin will shine!
- Make sure the stems of the bell pepper are green in color.
- The peppers will be heavy for their size.
- Avoid peppers with bruises, soft spots, or shriveled skin.
- Place bell peppers in a plastic bag in the refrigerator- will last 5 to 7 days!
- Add a damp paper towel to the vegetable compartment- helps the pepper to retain its water.
- Stuffed Bell Peppers are a favorite way to serve bell peppers. Stuff them with rice, ground beef, cheese, and sour cream. What do you love to stuff your bell peppers with?
- With any dip – the crispy texture of the pepper makes this a perfect combination! It’s a great alternative to chips!
Here are some of our favorite ways to serve bell peppers…
Don’t forget to add Bell Peppers to this week’s grocery list. How will you serve them? Tell us in the comments below.