Asparagus is one of my FAVORITE vegetables! As spring comes into full bloom in the next month, this veggie is going to be readily available at your local grocery store. Asparagus is extremely versatile & delicious! It is packed full of vitamins & minerals essential for our daily diet. Whether you buy your asparagus fresh, canned, or frozen, try incorporating asparagus into your meals — you won’t be disappointed!
How to Select Asparagus
- Pick firm, straight, and smooth asparagus stalks
- Find stalks that have a bright green color
- Fresh asparagus should lack a smelly odor — do NOT buy it if it smells!
- Choose stalks in uniform thickness — it doesn’t change quality just beneficial when preparing and cooking
How to Store Asparagus
- There is no need to soak your asparagus stalks before storing
- Trim the ends of the stalks (the tough parts)
- Wrap the stalk ends in a damp paper towel to increase shelf life
- Store in refrigerator until you are ready to use in your favorite dish
How to Serve Asparagus
Use the stovetop, oven, or microwave to make your favorite recipe! Check out these delicious dishes that incorporate asparagus:
It is simple as 1,2,3 to select, store, and serve asparagus! Pick a recipe that works for you and your family, and enjoy asparagus this week. Remember to follow MyPlate & make half of your plate fruits & vegetables 🙂