Vidalia Onion Sloppy Joes
Many onions can be sweet onions, but ONLY onions grown in the Vidalia County growing region in the beautiful state of Georgia are Vidalia Onions! They are in season now & you MUST add them to this weekend’s shopping list! Vidalia’s are a true Produce Mom Favorite 🙂
Here is a recipe for Sloppy Joes, or as the Vidalia Onion Committee calls them, Swampy Joes! It’s a sandwich that my boys love & a great entrée choice for feeding a large crowd! Use this recipe to sneak some extra veggies into your weekend meals!
- 1 large sweet onion Vidalia®, diced
- 1-1/4 lbs ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups spinach fresh, chopped
- 4 hamburger rolls
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium high heat, until lightly browned. Add Vidalia® Onion and garlic; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste. Worcestershire and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach just before serving on rolls. Yum!
Vidalia® Onions are available now at all Produce Mom Retailers! Enjoy this summer favorite & have a great weekend!!!
Thank you to Vidalia® Onion Committee for the recipe & photo featured in this blog… and thanks for growing such bomb onions, too!