Shrimp Tacos with Tropical Avocado Salsa Verde
Some recipes are all about the sauce. This is one of those. Luckily, Tropical Avocados are big, and this recipe yields enough salsa verde for a taco dinner serving 4 – 6 people, with plenty extra.
This recipe is also fast and easy! Don’t let the list of ingredients intimidate you! The salsa verde requires nothing more than tossing the ingredients into a blender and whipping them into a luxuriously silky sauce.
And you can dollop the salsa verde on all your favorite dishes to give them a tropical flavor. It makes a great dip for tortilla chips, and enhances wraps, sandwiches and burgers.
A ripe Tropical Avocado should feel soft to the touch and give slightly when pressed gently. If the avocado feels firm or hard to your touch, it won’t be soft enough to puree.
Learn more about Tropical Avocados here.
For the Tacos
- 1 LB jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 8-10 tortillas of choice corn, flour or corn/flour mix
- 1/4 cup red onions, sliced
- 1 medium-size mango, cubed
For the Tropical Avocado Salsa Verde
- 1 medium Tropical Avocado, ripe and roughly chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2-1 Serrano chile pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 4 tomatillos, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 white onion, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 juice of limes (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
Marinade for the Shrimp
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 juice of a lime
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp serrano chile pepper, minced
- 2 TBSP cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil or neutral oil
- To make the marinade for the shrimp, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Place shrimp in a large bowl and toss in the marinade. Mix well and let stand at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- While shrimp marinates, prepare Tropical Avocado salsa verde. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend, starting on the lowest setting and gradually speeding up to the highest. Blend until a silky whipped consistency forms (about 2-3 minutes).
- To cook shrimp, heat a skillet to medium high heat (cast iron if you have it). Toss shrimp and marinade into hot pan. Sauté, cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side until the shrimp are cooked through but still tender. Remove pan from heat.
- Heat tortillas—either in the microwave, on a griddle or on your stove top.
- To assemble the tacos, place 4-5 shrimp on each tortilla with a few mango cubes. Top with red onions to taste and a few dollops of salsa verde.
- Serve extra salsa verde on the side with tortilla chips and fresh veggies, such as carrot sticks and pepper strips.
Take shrimp tacos to the next level of deliciousness with Tropical Avocado Salsa Verde!