SweeTango Apple Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Nov 08, 2020, Updated May 19, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by SweeTango apples.
Cold mornings call for a hot meal. Whether it’s a lazy Saturday and the whole family is sleeping in or a busy weekday when everyone is rushing to school or work, a tasty, nutritious, and filling breakfast will start the day off right. Why not kick it up a notch with these SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos? Thanks to SweeTango® apples, this versatile recipe has a delicious and unique blend of flavors that are sure to satisfy.
Make Breakfast Unique with SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos
What’s the big deal with SweeTango® apples? There’s no reason to keep it wrapped up – they’re some of the tastiest apples available! Featuring a remarkably loud and satisfying crunch, these apples are perfect for baking, slicing, or simply snacking out of hand. A hint of citrus, honey, and spice gives them a sweet flavor that works perfectly in these savory SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos. SweeTango® apples are available from mid-August or early September through November or early December.
But we use apples for more than just the taste. There’s a reason they keep the doctor away – they’re good for your health! Apples promote good gut and heart health and contain no fat or cholesterol. With their flavor and nutrition, we’ve cooked up a breakfast dish that you can feel good about serving. SweeTango® apples, butternut squash, and lean chicken sausage links all make these more nutritious than your average burritos.
This recipe for SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos comes from our new eBook, SweeTango® for ALL Eating Occasions. Download it for free to find more recipes that make creative use of the unique flavors of SweeTango® apples.
Rolling These Burritos
You’ll make this recipe in two stages. In the first, you’ll cut up, mix together, and cook the burrito fillings to combine and enhance their flavors. Soft butternut squash, crispy sausage, and crunchy SweeTango® apple pieces give these burritos texture and flavor that your family will love. Complete the recipe by wrapping the individual burritos and cooking them on a baking sheet. This helps the tortillas keep their shape and ensures your burritos are hot and fresh for serving!
SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos
- 2 SweeTango apple finely diced
- 4 fully precooked chicken sausage links
- 2 cups butternut squash frozen, cubed
- 1 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 wheat flour tortillas or Flatout flatbreads
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Core and finely dice SweeTango apples.
- Cut the sausages into ¼ inch thick rounds. Then quarter the rounds.
- Cut the butternut squash into ½ inch cubes.
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook SweeTango apples, sausage, butternut squash, and red pepper. Stir occasionally. Cook until the sausage and squash are beginning to brown a little (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add eggs to skillet and sprinkle with sage, salt, and black pepper. Stir and cook until eggs are done.
- Layout the tortillas on a flat surface. Sprinkle with cheese and apple and sausage mixture on top.
- Fold short ends of tortilla inward toward the middle. then fold long sides of the tortilla inward toward the middle (making a tightly closed burrito). Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Lay burritos on a pre-lined baking sheet. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Want to enjoy this recipe but don’t have the time to prepare it most mornings? It’s perfect for freezing and reheating! Make a batch of SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos and promptly freeze them. Cook them in the oven or microwave for a quick to-go meal on busy mornings.
Did your family go loco for these unique SweeTango Chicken-Sausage Breakfast Burritos? Tell us how they went over in the comments below or tag us in your burrito photos on Instagram @theproducemoms.