Skillet Apple Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup pumpkin canned
- 2 egg
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup carrot finely shredded
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 4 apple peeled, cored, sliced (Granny Smith apples recommended)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup cranberries or 1 cup dried cranberries
For the Harvest Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour an 8x8x2 inch square pan or 9×1 ½ inch round cake pan.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl combine sugars, pumpkin, eggs, and oil. Stir in carrots and buttermilk. Gradually beat in flour mixture, stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place cake on serving platter and dust with powdered sugar. Just before serving spoon on warm Skillet Apples. Top each serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired!
For the Skillet Fruit
- In large skillet melt butter, stir in sugar. Add sliced apples and cranberries. Cook gently stirring occasionally, until apples are just tender (4 to 8 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Recipe and photo provided by Sage Fruit – http://sagefruit.com