Red Onion Marmalade
Jul 12, 2022, Updated Oct 17, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Tanimura & Antle.
Our Red Onion Marmalade has a sweet and tangy flavor profile that everyone will love. Caramelized sweet red onions are tasty on their own, but we want to take it a step further. Made with Tanimura & Antle Artisan® Sweet Red Onion, red wine vinegar, red wine and a touch of sugar it’s sure to become a new staple in your recipes.
If you enjoy grilled onions, you have to try this Red Onion Marmalade Recipe. This recipe results in a salty and sweet combo that is great to serve alongside meat & cheese platters, as a condiment for sandwiches or on top of grilled meat. Plus, you can make it in advance and store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It’s the perfect “jam” to always have on hand.
Want to learn more about onions? In our Guide to Onions we share flavor profiles of popular onion varieties and how to select, store and serve them.
More Ways to Enjoy This Red Onion Marmalade:
- Skip the mayo and add it to your favorite lunch meat sandwich
- Place it on top of your steak, chicken, burger or brat
- Serve with goat, brie or Swiss cheese and crackers at your next party
- It can serve as a great alternative pizza “sauce”
- Toss with your favorite vegetables
- Add it to your avocado toast
- Spread it on top of a warm crostini
- Use it on your next charcuterie board
Tanimura & Antle Artisan® Sweet Red Onion
This single serve red onion is simply put, a better everyday onion. It is distinctively plump and delightfully robust. It brings new interest and depth to any dish, and the exceptionally bold color makes any dish more eye-appealing. The Artisan Sweet Red Onions are fragrant but not overpowering in flavor and tender with a great crunch.
Tanimura & Antle Artisan vegetables are unique varieties grown from select seeds that can light up everyday meals, store shelves and restaurant menus. The field-grown freshness ensures consistent color and flavor 365 days a year.
Be sure to check out our article on How to Cut an Onion. We show you 7 simple cuts that you can easily do in your own kitchen.
Ingredients Needed to Make Red Onion Marmalade
- Tanimura & Antle Artisan® Sweet Red Onions, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Red wine
- Reded wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Homemade Red Onion Marmalade
Next, add in the thinly sliced Artisan Sweet Red Onions. Then, cover and cook briskly for about 10 to 15 minutes, until onions have softened, stirring often.
Next, add in the red wine. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the wine has reduced and the mixture has no liquid pooling at the bottom when you put a spoon through the marmalade (20-30 minutes).
Why We Love Tanimura & Antle
Why are we so enamored with Tanimura & Antle? These experienced farmers stand out from the rest with a rich heritage of growing produce to be proud of. Their steadfast commitment to safety, sustainability, and community means you can be confident in every vegetable that makes its way from their fields into your kitchen.
Want to try more tasty Tanimura & Antle recipes? Check out some of our favorites:
- Grilled Red Onion Chicken and Mint Kebabs
- Turkey Taco Cups
- Celery & Avocado Salad
- Delicata Squash and Dried Cranberry Salad
- Charred Sweet Broccoli with Pancetta and Parmesan
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Salad
In addition to their delicious Artisan Sweet Red Onion, you’ll find other veggies for all kinds of occasions in their Artisan, Organic, and Greenhouse Grown lines. Cauliflower, lettuce, onions, celery, and more are all grown in the best possible conditions by produce experts, ensuring that you’ll only bring home the best when you choose Tanimura & Antle products.
Red Onion Marmalade
- 3 Tanimura & Antle Artisan® Sweet Red Onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small, heavy saucepan. Add in the thinly sliced Tanimura & Antle Artisan® Sweet Red Onions. Cover and cook briskly for about 10 to 15 minutes, until onions have softened, stirring often.
- Add sugar, and slowly cook uncovered for another five minutes, until some of the onions begin to caramelize and liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Add in the red wine. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the wine has reduced and the mixture has no liquid pooling at the bottom when you put a spoon through the marmalade (20-30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.