How to Select Honeydew Melon
- Choose a honeydew that is spherical, mostly symmetrical, and heavy for its size.
- The outside of the honeydew melon should be waxy with cream, yellow, or gold tones. Green coloring indicates that the honeydew is not ripe.
- Sniff the melon. It should give off a sweet, pleasant odor.
*BONUS TIP: For an extra sweet honeydew melon, look for one with small brown freckles on the outside rind.
When is Honeydew Melon in Season?
The best season for enjoying honeydew melon is typical during the summer months, from June to August. This is when they are in peak season and are most readily available at their freshest and most flavorful state. Honeydew melons are nutritious treats you can enjoy fresh or use in various recipes.
Varieties of Honeydew Melon
There are several varieties of honeydew melon available in the US. Some have a sweeter, more intense flavor, while others have a more delicate flavor. Some have a smooth rind, while others are slightly fuzzy. The most popular varieties of honeydew melon are:
- Green Flesh Honeydew: This variety has a smooth, creamy white rind and pale green flesh. It is juicy and sweet with a mild flavor.
- Orange Flesh Honeydew: This variety has bright orange flesh and a smooth, slightly fuzzy rind. It has a sweeter, more intense flavor than the green flesh variety.
- Golden Honeydew: This variety has a golden yellow rind and pale green flesh. It is sweeter than the green flesh variety and has a more delicate flavor.
- Honey White: This variety has a white rind and pale green flesh. It is super sweet and has a floral aroma.
- French Orange Honeydew: This variety has a bright orange rind and pale green flesh. It is extremely sweet with a slightly floral flavor.
Honeydew Melon Nutrition Facts & Benefits
Honeydew melon is a low-calorie fruit rich in vitamins and minerals and exceptionally high in vitamin C, an important antioxidant. Here are the nutritional facts for a one-cup serving of honeydew melon:
- Approx 64 calories
- 0.3 grams of fat
- 1 gram of protein
- 16 grams of carbohydrates
- 14 grams of natural sugar
- 1.4 grams of fiber
Here are proven ways that honeydew melon can benefit your health:
- Honeydew melon is high in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure.
- A serving of honeydew melon contains 8% of your RDI for folate, which helps with bone health.
- Consuming fresh fruit like honeydew melon reduces your risk of developing diabetes because fruit promotes healthy blood sugars.
- Honeydew melon contains healthy electrolytes that keep your body hydrated.
How to Store Honeydew Melon
- Store whole honeydew melons at room temperature.
- Once cut, store honeydew in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks.
How to Prepare Honeydew Melon
Honeydew melon has a natural sweetness and refreshing flavor, making it a perfect addition to any meal or snack. These are our favorite ways to prepare honeydew melon:
- Raw: Cut the honeydew melon into bite-sized pieces and mix it with other fruits like strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi for a delicious and healthy fruit salad.
- Smoothies: Blend honeydew melon with yogurt, milk, and other fruits for a refreshing and nutritious smoothie.
- Grilled: Cut the honeydew melon into thick slices and grill them for a few minutes on each side. Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt for a unique and delicious appetizer or side dish.
- Sorbet: Puree honeydew melon with a bit of sugar and lime juice, freeze it in an ice cream maker, and serve it as a refreshing sorbet dessert.