Pork and Watermelon Kebabs
Have you ever grilled watermelon? The results are delicious!
Pork and Watermelon Kebabs recipe courtesy of our brand partner, Watermelon Board.
There might not be a single produce item more refreshing to snack on during the spring and summer than watermelon slices or chunks. The reason watermelon is so refreshing might be the fact that the fruit is 90% water. Being dehydrated is dangerous, so be sure to snack on watermelon to hydrated during the hot months of the year.
One serving of watermelon offers 31% DV of vitamin A, and 37% DV of vitamin C. It also has more lycopene (an antioxidant) than a serving of tomatoes. To ensure you get the most antioxidants out of your watermelon, store it at room temperature until you are ready to slice it.
One creative way to work watermelon into your diet is to add them to pork kebabs. How delicious do these look? It makes me want to go outside and fire up the grill immediately!
- 32 cubes watermelon one inch cubes
- 1 lb pork chop boned, lean, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp thyme ground
- 16 slices zucchini 1/2 inch round slices
- 16 chunks pineapple 1 inch chunks
- 24 slices bell pepper 1 inch slices, orange or yellow bell pepper
- Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, onion, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme & peppers in a mixing bowl. Pour into a zip-lock bag and add pork pieces. Seal bag, mix thoroughly, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning bag on occasion.
- Remove pork from bag and reserve marinade. Thread 5 pork pieces, 4 watermelon cubes, 2-3 zucchini rounds, 2 pineapple chunks, and 3 pepper slices on each of 8 skewers, alternating the order.
- Prepare grill.
- Spray cooking surface and place kebabs on grill. Grill for 12-15 minutes, depending on grill heat, or until done, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Garnish with sesame sees and chunks of watermelon.
Try these watermelon and pork kebabs for your next grill out! We promise they’re as good as they look!
What’s your favorite way to prepare and serve watermelon? Share in the comments below.