Champagne Poached Pears
A show-stoppingly elegant dessert
We can think of no more elegant dessert than Champagne Poached Pears! Your guests will ooh and aah as you serve this stunningly beautiful dessert
- 12 pear firm and ripe (I recommend using Bosc USA Pears)
- 1 gallon water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 bottles champagne (750 ml)
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs rosemary 3 to 4 inch sprigs
- 4 to 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 12 small sprigs rosemary
- Peel and core pears from the blossom end, leaving stem in place. Cut bottom of pear so it will stand on a flat surface. Place pears in bowl of water and lemon juice to prevent discoloring.
- Bring champagne, sugar and 3-inch sprigs of rosemary to boil in a large saucepan. Stand pears in champagne mixture; cover with lid or foil and simmer 25 to 35 minutes or until tender. Baste every 8 to 10 minutes to cover all surfaces with champagne mixture.
- Remove pears from heat and cool; baste occasionally. Remove pears from liquid.
- In large skillet or shallow pan, reduce liquid and sugar by half. Cool.
- Pour sauce on individual serving plate. Stand poached pear in pool. Garnish with mascarpone cheese and a small sprig of rosemary.