Cornbread-Sausage Stuffing with Apples
Nov 15, 2018, Updated May 24, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Move over turkey… this stuffing recipe is about to steal the show!
Stuffing is quintessential to the holiday dinner table. Can you imagine Thanksgiving without it? We can’t and we don’t want to! Cozy, hardy, and deliciously fragrant, it’s one of the holiday foods we look forward to all year long. This year, delight your family with a stuffing that is extra delicious, Cornbread-Sausage Stuffing with Pink Lady® Apples.
The foundation of this stuffing is a mix of cornbread and rustic French bread. You can make your own bread and/or cornbread or purchase it at the grocery store. You’ll find both in the bakery section of your local grocery store.
This stuffing is loaded with sage-infused sausage. Celery, toasted pecans, and apple give it just the right amount of crunch. The juicy burst of flavor from the apple pieces ensures you won’t ever get a dry bite.
Why Pink Lady® Apples?
Pink Lady® apples are the first to blossom and the last to be harvested. All that extra time in the sun gives Pink Lady® apples a distinct blush color, sweet crunch, and wonderful fizz. Their crunchy texture helps them withstand the baking process without becoming mushy. They are the perfect choice for holiday stuffing!
Cornbread-Sausage Stuffing with Pink Lady® Apples
- 1 lb ground pork sausage sage flavor sausage is recommended
- 1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups rustic French bread cubed and dried
- 5 cups cornbread cubed and toasted
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans roughly chopped
- 1 medium Pink Lady® apple chopped
- 1-1.5 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion and celery in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, use fork to lightly beat eggs. Stir in poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Add French bread cubes and corn bread, toss until coated. Add sausage, vegetables, pecans and apples. Add enough broth to moisten (3/4 to 1 cup), tossing to mix well.
- Coat 8 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon stuffing mixture in dish, drizzle with enough of the remaining chicken broth to make stuffing of desired moistness. Bake, lightly covered with foil, at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Uncover after 35 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Thanksgiving Giveaway Instagram Contest
We are excited to be hosting a giveaway with our friends at Pink Lady®. Entering is easy! Head over to Instagram and follow @pinkladyamerica and @theproducemoms. Find the Thanksgiving Instagram Giveaway photo on our feed and like the post and tag 3 friends in the comments. Each new comment and tagged friend counts as a new entry! Share the post for an additional entry. 10 winners will be randomly selected to win an apple-themed prize of their choice.
We hope this recipe adds to your enjoyment of the holiday season. Share your Pink Lady® Stuffing photos with us on Instagram and tag us @theproducemoms and @pinkladyamerica.
RELATED RECIPE: Need a dessert that will wow your dinner guests? Upside Down Apple Cake is stunningly gorgeous. You’d never guess it takes just 15 minutes of prep!
Are you in charge of the stuffing this holiday season? Don’t forget to add Pink Lady® apples for a sweet burst of flavor and crunch!