Braised Red Cabbage Lentil Sloppy Joes
A kid-friendly, vegetarian Sloppy Joes recipe
Braised Red Cabbage Lentil Sloppy Joes have all the delicious flavors of a traditional Sloppy Joe, but are made with veggies in place of meat. Lentils are a good source of protein, making them a smart meat substitute. They are also high in fiber and low in fat and carbs. Red cabbage is also a good source of dietary fiber as well as vitamin A, vitamin C potassium, and polyphenols (thought to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties). Delicious and nutritious — our favorite kind of recipe!
- 1 head red cabbage cored and diced small
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1 tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 whole grain hamburger buns
- In a braising pan, saute cabbage and onions in olive oil for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Simmer on low for 1 hour until lentils are tender and mixture has thickened.
- If you made the day before, reheat at 165 degrees for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe is also available for school food service. Download our free eBook, Chef Todd Fisher’s Recipe Collection for USDA School Meals.