Bell Pepper Focaccia
May 11, 2014, Updated Jun 07, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Focaccia is a flat, oven-baked bread. Everyone loves focaccia! It’s a great start to any Italian meal. This Bell Pepper Focaccia recipe is a simple twist on a beloved favorite.
Bell Pepper Focaccia
- 1 2/3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 package active dry yeast 1/4 oz
- 5 cups all-purpose flour plus more for kneading
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oregano fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 package onion Melissa's Cipolline (8 oz julienned)
- 1/2 jar fire roasted red pepper chopped
- 6 cloves garlic fire roasted, minced
- Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Stir together 1 2/3 cups lukewarm (105 to 115°F) water and yeast in bowl of mixer and let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 5 cups flour, 1/4 cup oil, and 2 1/2 teaspoons table salt, 1/2 of the rosemary, 1/2 of the oregano and beat with paddle attachment at medium speed until a dough forms.
- Replace paddle with dough hook and knead dough at high speed until soft, smooth, and sticky, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in 1 to 2 tablespoons more flour.
- Knead dough 1 minute (it will still be slightly sticky), then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to coat with oil.
- Let rise, covered with plastic wrap, at warm room temperature, until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Press dough evenly into a generously oiled 15- by 10- by 1-inch baking pan (1/2 sheet pan).
- Let dough rise, covered completely with a kitchen towel, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium to large saucepan. Add onions and caramelize. This will take a few minutes.
- When done, cool in a strainer and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Stir together remaining rosemary, oregano and remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Make shallow indentations all over dough with your fingertips, then brush with rosemary oil, letting it pool in indentations.
- Sprinkle sea salt, onions, bell peppers, garlic and parmesan cheese evenly over focaccia and bake in middle of oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the sheet pan. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.