Watermelon Tomato Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette
Jun 26, 2020, Updated Jul 27, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by our brand partners, Watermelon Board.
Watermelon and tomatoes are two of summer’s biggest produce superstars! They join forces in this recipe to create a juicy salad made for sunny summer days.
Simple, flavorful ingredients make the best salads. Accompanying the watermelon and vine-ripened tomatoes are baby spring mix, sliced sweet onions, and queso fresco crumbles.
Of course, every great salad needs a great dressing. A homemade jalapeno vinaigrette is a perfect match for this one. It combines jalapenos with cilantro, agave nectar, green onions, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil. This zingy vinaigrette provides a little kick and is delicious when paired with the sweet flavors of tomatoes and watermelon.
RELATED RECIPE: Jalapeno Poppers with Spicy Watermelon Dipping Sauce
Watermelon Tomato Salad is a great starter to any meal. Try it with the Red, White, and Blue Cheese Turkey Burger Sliders or Shrimp Tacos. It’s always a good choice for grill nights! Why not finish off the meal with Watermelon S’mores?
Watermelon Tomato Salad
- baby spring mix
- 12 slices vine ripe tomato
- 6 squares watermelon 1/2" thick, 4x4 squares
- 1/3 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1/3 cup sweet onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Jalapeños seeded and minced
- 3 tbsp green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, agave nectar, garlic, lime juice. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisk until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut Watermelon into squares (see video above for demonstration). Slice tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, toss baby spring mix with vinaigrette & season with salt.
- For each serving, place one watermelon slice on a plate, place some dressed spring mix onto watermelon. Top with tomatoes, cheese & sweet onions. Drizzle additional dressing over each serving. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Did you know over 1,200 varieties of watermelon are grown worldwide? The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt. You can find more fun watermelon facts and trivia to discuss over dinner here.
Looking for more watermelon recipes to enjoy this summer? Check out our Watermelon Pinterest board! From cocktails to desserts, watermelon.org also has dozens of creative watermelon recipes you’ll want to try.