Sweet Cinnamon and Pear Empanadas
This recipe is sponsored by USA Pears.
Empanadas are a free-form food and can be cooked up in just about any flavor imaginable. They’re a popular food truck or street market dish and are easy to eat by hand. We’ve taken the unique experience of eating handheld empanadas and brought it to our home kitchen with these sweet cinnamon and pear empanadas.
As a snack, a dessert, or a fruit-filled breakfast, these sweet empanadas put the flavors of USA Pears to work. All you’ll need to make this fantastic fruit shine is a few simple ingredients you likely already have on hand.
RELATED: How to Pick the Best Pears at the Grocery Store
These empanadas are made with an air fryer. Air frying makes them less work and less mess than traditional deep-fried empanadas without sacrificing any flavor.
- 3-4 green or red Anjou USA Pears finely diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pkg pie crusts (2)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- grapeseed oil
- sugar topping
- Combine diced pears, lemon juice and cinnamon to make filling.
- Unroll each room temperature pie crust and using a 4.5 inch biscuit/cookie cutter cut out 4 holes in each pie crust. Moisten the outside edge of each circle with water.
- Place 1 ½ tablespoons of pie filling in the center of each circle. Fold the circles in half and press the two seams together using your fingers. Use a fork to seal the edges. Use a sharp knife to score the top of the crust three times.
- Lightly spray each hand pie with grapeseed oil. Sprinkle each pie with the sugar.
- Pre-heat air fryer at 350°F.
- Lightly spray your air fryer basket with grapeseed oil. Place the hand pies in a single layer in the air fryer and cook for 11 minutes or until the pie crust is nice and golden. Repeat with remaining hand pies.
If you love this recipe, give these savory air-fried sausage and pear empanadas a try too!
How did you like this recipe for sweet cinnamon and pear empanadas? Tell us in the comments below or share your feedback in our Facebook group.