Raw Broccolini Sesame Salad
Last week was National School Lunch Week and we kicked it off with a Raw Broccolini® Sesame Salad recipe that we’d like to share with you today. This recipe was one of ten that was created for the Chef Fisher USDA School Meal Recipe Collection.
The Produce Moms and Chef Todd Fisher, Duda Farm Fresh Food’s culinary ambassador, have teamed up to lead training sessions for school foodservice professionals. Together, we are providing strategies that make fresh produce more inviting to students.
Raw Broccolini Sesame Salad is a great option to serve in school cafeterias AND it’s a great recipe for home! There’s no cooking required, so it’s quick to make. It a delicious way to start any meal and will boost your veggie count for the day! It packs up easily so it’s also a smart choice to take to work for lunch.
You’ll find that this salad is full of flavor and has a satisfying crunch! Dandy® Celery is Naturally Sweeter & Crispier® and has fewer strings than other celery brands so it’s our go-to choice for this salad. Broccolini has a mild, earthy flavor. It’s sweeter and less bitter than traditional broccoli. While you can cook broccolini (and we recommend trying it cooked too!), it’s delicious raw. Without further ado, here is the recipe for this yummy green salad…
- 1 lb Broccolini® chopped into bite-size peices
- 1/2 cup Dandy® Celery chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup frozen edamame thawed
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- In a large bowl, combine broccolini, celery, frozen edamame, and toasted sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and honey.
- Toss the celery, broccolini, and edamame mixture with the dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve later.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! If you’re looking for strategies to encourage students to choose, eat, and enjoy healthier foods in the school cafeteria without taking away choices, download our FREE Smarter Lunchrooms eBook.