The State of Foodservice Amidst COVID-19
I am honored that Jill Overdorf of Naturipe Farms agreed to discuss the state of the fresh produce industry amidst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Jill is a true thought leader who has dedicated her life to the foodservice industry and to elevating fresh produce within foodservice across the nation. In fact, she has worked in food service on all seven continents! She’s been a female mentor for me and is truly one of my favorite people in the world. We hope this interview will inspire some optimism in light of our current circumstances.
- The shift from foodservice to retail. Though we’ve lost significant business in foodservice, it has been retail’s gain. We don’t anticipate a large amount of food waste because much of the food originally intended for foodservice has ended up on sale in grocery stores.
- The fact that we are not running out of food! Not only are we not running out of food, but we also have one of the safest and most reactive supply chains in the world. Nothing has been compromised in terms of food safety.
- What is causing panic in consumers? Many people are engaging in panic buying in an effort to feel in control of something in this turbulent moment. Grocery store sales are actually crushing Thanksgiving sales!
- The future of foodservice. We couldn’t have predicted this. Support your local restaurants with takeout — again, the food will still be safe!
- Naturipe’s products: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, avocados, and cranberries. Berries are a great source of vitamin C and antioxidants to boost your immune system. We are just coming into berry season, making this the perfect time to start integrating them into your meals and snacks!
What do you want to know about COVID-19 and the foodservice or produce industry? Ask your question in the comments below and we’ll be sure to answer them for you.