Father’s Day Watermelon Grill
Father’s Day is right around the corner, which means your little one is probably looking for the perfect homemade present to make for dad! Lucky for you, this homemade watermelon grill is the answer to your search! It is easy, kid-friendly, and extremely delicious on a hot June day. Plus, it’s a great way to get your kids helping in the kitchen and the man in your life consuming more fruit!
This 3-D fruit tray works best with a mini watermelon. Begin by cutting a mini watermelon in half and use a melon scooper to remove the watermelon. An ice cream scoop will work too! Use an apple corer to make 3 holes in the bottom of one of the watermelon halves. Place a stalk of celery in each hole to make the legs of the grill. Place blackberries in the bottom of the grill to resemble charcoal. Then push 4 or 5 skewers across the top of the watermelon to give the appearance of a grill grate.
While you are constructing the grill itself, let the kids construct the fruit skewers that will sit on top of the grill grates. Have them place melon balls and watermelon chunks on skewers.
Dad will love his fruit grill! Serve it as an appetizer before the real grill out. It makes a festive centerpiece and is very refreshing on a hot day!
- Mini Watermelon
- pineapple chunks
- Watermelon chunks
- celery stalks
- Cut open the mini watermelon in half. Using a melon scoop or ice cream scoop, dig out both sides of the watermelon. (Keep the scraps!)
- Taking the pineapple chunks & watermelon chunks (scraps), alternate on a skewer. Repeat 3 to 4 times.
- Using an apple corer, make 3 holes on the bottom of one side of the watermelon. Take the 3 celery stalks & place in these holes in order to make the stands of the grill.
- Fill the bottom of the watermelon with the blackberries, to represent charcoal.
- Carefully push 4 to 5 skewers (depending on size of watermelon) through each side to form the grill grates.
- Lay the pineapple & watermelon skewers on top of the "grill grates".
- If desired, use the other half of the watermelon as the grill lid.
Happy Father’s Day!
Looking for more fruit and veggie holiday tray ideas? Download our free eBook, A Fruit and Veggie Tray for [Almost] Every Holiday.