The Most Amazing Corned Beef Recipe!
Mar 11, 2013, Updated Jul 26, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
St Patty’s Day is almost here! Chef Concetta has prepared a fantastic menu of festive Irish Fare to help you celebrate, too! We worked together in the test kitchen last week & this corned beef is unreal! And it’s really not difficult… just takes some time to prepare. If you want to make homemade corned beef, get on it! Chef Concetta recommends brining your brisket for an entire week before cooking.
The Most Amazing Corned Beef Recipe
- 5 lb beef brisket
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 5 tsp pink curing salt
- 3 tbsp pickling spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 gallon water
Cooked Corned Beef
- 5 lbs cured beef brisket
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 large carrot cut into thirds
- 10 cloves garlic peeled (look for Garden Cut brand)
- 1 medium cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- 8 red potato halved
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp pickling spice
- Combine all ingredients except for beef brisket in a pot over medium-high heat. Cook until salt & sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat & let cool to room temperature. Once the mixture has cooled place in refrigerator to chill.
- Place the brisket in a resealable plastic bag and add the brine. Place the bag in a container and store in the refrigerator for 6-7 days.
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Remove the brisket from the brine and rinse with cold water. Place the brisket, onion, garlic, bay leaves & spices in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and place in oven. Cook at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the meat and cover it with foil to keep warm. Add the cabbage, carrots & potatoes to the pot; place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain. Serve with vegetables & broth.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.