Butternut Squash Bisque with Jalapeño Crema
Jun 20, 2020, Updated Jun 15, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This recipe is sponsored by our brand partners at Covilli.
A delightful, refreshing bisque is the sort of recipe you can come back to year after year. It’s both elegant and crowd-pleasing, versatile and one-of-a-kind. This butternut squash bisque is just that. Pair it with an entree hot off the grill for a memorable meal!
Butternut Squash Bisque might seem like more of an autumn recipe, but we’ve added a little summertime kick with a Jalapeno Crema served on the side. Make sure you remove the seeds, or you may have a bit too much kick. Butternut Squash Bisque completes the meal, no matter the season!
Serve your bisque warm and fresh for the fullest flavor. This recipe makes enough bisque to give your whole family a bowl. If you’re just having dinner for two, don’t worry. It keeps well in the refrigerator so you can enjoy it again later!
Butternut Squash Bisque
- 2.5 kg butternut squash approx. 4 medium butternut squash
- 6 T unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 6 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 1500 ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 T brown sugar
- 500 ml heavy cream
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 t vegetable oil
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1 T powdered sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the squash in half and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven, flesh side up, for 25-30 minutes or until tender and lightly colored.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pot, add the remaining ingredients (except for the cream) and bring it to a simmer.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Add the flesh to the pot with the remaining cream and simmer an additional 5 minutes. transfer to a blender in batches and puree until smooth. Strain and serve warm with the jalapeño crema and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Slice the jalapeño in half and remove the seeds. In a saute pan, add the vegetable oil and sear the jalapeño on all sides until it is caramelized and tender. Remove from the pan and let cool.
- Use the back of the knife to scrape off the skin from the jalapeño and then mince into a fine dice.
- In a mixing bowl, using a whisk, whip the cream until lightly thickened. Add the sugar, salt, and minced jalapeño until combined. Keep refrigerated and serve with the soup.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Who Is Covilli?
This butternut squash bisque tastes good, but you can also feel good about the impact your purchases have made by buying the ingredients from Covilli Brand Organics. A family-owned farm based in the fertile Empalme Valley of Sonora, Mexico, Covilli strives to grow organic produce with sustainable and fair methods. When you buy Covilli, you’re buying some of the best produce around!
This is a brand with an eye on the future, not just on profits. They try to make a positive impact on the environment, on their workers, and on the international farming community. Covilli is Fair Trade Certified and gives its workers fair wages and benefits like health care and education. By buying Covilli produce, you’re using your dollars to cast a vote for a better future.
Was this bisque the star of your meal? Did it perfectly complement your entree? Was the first taste met with smiles around the table? Let us know what you and your friends and family thought of this butternut squash bisque in the comments below!