Avocado and Tortilla Soup
Dec 26, 2012, Updated Jun 08, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Attention Avocado Lovers: Meet your new favorite soup!
There are few things in life as comforting as a warm bowl of soup. Today, we’re sharing a unique and flavorful soup that features one of everyone’s favorite produce items… avocado! If you are an avocado lover, you’ll go wild for Avocado and Tortilla Soup.
The base of this soup is a puréed blend of sautéed onions, garlic, tomatoes, and chicken broth. The star is the avocado! Simply cube or slice a fresh avocado and place it in the soup base. Then, garnish with homemade tortilla strips, cilantro, and lime juice. Feel free to also add a sprinkle of queso fresco cheese.
Produce Mom Tip: Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and this soup becomes vegetarian!
This soup makes a great lunch or first course. We love to serve it before this Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole. If you love avocado, we guarantee you’ll love this soup!
Avocado & Tortilla Soup
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic roasted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15.5 oz tomatoes in juice diced
- 3 pt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt with red pepper
- frying oil
- 10 corn tortilla day old, cut into strips
- 2 avocado peeled & seeded, cubed or sliced
- 2 cups queso fresco cheese crumbled
- 2 lime quartered
- In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Place sautéed onion and garlic mixture with tomatoes in juice in a blender and blend for 30 to 45 seconds.
- In a stockpot combine puree mixture, chicken broth, cilantro, and seasoned salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2-inch oil in a small saucepan.
- When hot, add tortilla strips a few at a time and fry, turn at least once; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with tongs. Drain on paper towels.
- Place equal portions of cooked tortilla strips in shallow soup bowls.
- Ladle hot soup over, garnish with avocado, cheese and lime juice to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Have you tried eating avocado in soup? Are you ready to give it a try? Add avocado to this week’s shopping list and pin this recipe so you have it on hand.