Air-Fried Sausage and Pear Empanadas
Dec 05, 2020, Updated Aug 02, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This recipe for Sausage and Pear Empanadas is sponsored by USA Pears.
Made with pear, spicy sausage, sage, and mozzarella cheese, these savory empanadas combine spicy, sweet, and smoky flavors. You’ll love their complex and addicting taste.
Snackable, dippable, and irresistible, empanadas are a fried delight. These empanadas are lighter than most because they are air-fried using just a light amount of non-stick cooking spray.
Empanadas are enjoyed in many forms around the world, but their origins can be traced to Spain’s Galicia region. Today, empanadas are a cultural staple in Sicily, Indonesia, the Philippines, and across South America. Argentina in particular is known for its varied takes on the empanada. Each region has its own unique version of an empanada.
There’s no wrong way to make an empanada but it would be wrong not to give these a try!
Sausage and Pear Empanadas
- 3-4 green or red Anjou USA Pears finely diced
- 1 package pie crusts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 oz spicy ground sausage
- 1/2 cup onions finely diced
- 1 tbsp sage
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- non-stick spray
- Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned (breaking up meat with a wooden spoon). Add chopped onion and cook stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent (about 3-4 minutes). Add sage and diced pears; cook, string occasionally for 2 more minutes.
- Unroll each room temperature pie crust and using a 4.5 inch biscuit/cookie cutter cut out 4 holes in each pie crust. Moisten the outside edge of each circle with water.
- Place 1 ½ tablespoons of pear-sausage filling in the center of each circle. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Fold the circles in half and press the two seams together using your fingers. Use a fork to seal the edges. Use a sharp knife to score the top of the crust three times.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush onto empanadas.
- Preheat the air-fryer at 325°F.
- Spray air fryer basket with nonstick spray. Add as many empanadas as will fit in a single layer. Air fry for approximately 8 minutes. Repeat with the remaining empanadas.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
How did you like this recipe for sausage and pear empanadas? Tell us in the comments below or share your feedback in our Facebook group.