Are you following along with the #ProduceChallenge Calendar? Today’s challenge is a RADISH! Radishes, a root vegetable, are part of the Brassica family. While they are thought to have originated in China, radishes are now grown around the world. In the United States, California & Florida produce the largest crops! Coming in various colors, sizes, & crop durations, radishes are classified as either a spring, summer, winter, or fall crop. Since radishes are able to grow year round, they make an ideal vegetable for any home garden! Encourage your family to plant radishes & watch the growing process – it’s FASCINATING!
NOW…How do you select, store, & serve a radish?
How to Select
- Make sure the vegetable is smooth & brightly colored
- The radish should be medium sized
- The top should be green & fresh looking
How to Store
- Remove green tops & wash thoroughly
- Radishes should be sealed in a plastic bag & used within 1 week
How to Serve
- Cooked or raw – I love to add radishes to my salads!
- Try radishes in cole slaw. Click here for a recipe!
Comment & let me know your favorite recipe to make with radishes! Remember – There is a produce mom in all of us 🙂
xoxo Produce Mom