It’s National Potato Day! If you love potatoes like I do, you will really enjoy this simple & delicious recipe. Potatoes pair so nicely with grilled foods – why not grill the potatoes? It’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood… I think we’ll probably grill dinner on the patio & I’m certain that we’ll be making these grilled potatoes to celebrate the beloved spud’s holiday! You should do the same – and don’t forget to tweet or post a picture of your Grilled Potatoes!
You can use whatever potatoes you have on-hand to make grilled potatoes. I typically buy Reds or Yukon Golds, but I do not discriminate when it comes to potatoes. I’m Irish & I love them all! Here are some fun facts to help you feel good about choosing potatoes for your family:
- Packed with Vitamin C – 1 potato provides 45% of your recommended daily intake
- Potassium Leader – potatoes provide more potassium than any other fruit or vegetable
- Source of Vitamin B6 – this vitamin is essential in carbohydrate & protein metabolism
- Dietary Fiber – 1 medium potato boasts 2g of Dietary Fiber. If you’re like me & counting points… you know how important it is to have fiber
- Carbohydrates – potatoes contain both simple & complex carbohydrates
- Gluten Free – allergies? no problem. Potatoes are 100% gluten-free & offer fiber, which is often lacking in gluten-free diet
Here is a nice visual, compliments of the Idaho Potato Commission, about how potatoes stack up against other foods:
Now that you feel better about eating potatoes… here is my favorite recipe for Grilled Potatoes:
Counting points? this is 4 points per 5oz serving! That’s about 4 grilled potato halves.
Happy Potato Day!
xoxo Produce Mom