It is that time again — New Year’s Resolutions! Have you declared your resolution? Start off the year strong by choosing to eat healthy!
Make it your goal to “eat healthy” not to go on a “diet” during the course of this year. The difference between dieting and healthy eating falls on three key points — Variety, Balance, and Moderation. When on a “diet” the ability to have variety in your meals is lost. Typically, when dieting, a food group is eliminated from your overall food consumption. This elimination causes a loss of balance in essential vitamins and minerals. Additionally, diets do not stress the importance of moderation — you can always have too much of a specific food (even a healthy one). However, eating healthy allows for a variety of meals to be eaten, a balance to be kept, and stresses the importance of moderation between ALL food groups!
Here are 5 steps to help YOU get started on your healthy eating plan:
1. Follow MyPlate Guidelines!
2. Limit calorie intake from liquids – drink water or low calorie drinks. Infuse water with fruits, veggies, and herbs.
3. Incorporate more fruits and veggies into your meals. One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is to take the #ProduceChallenge!
4. Choose leaner cuts of meat to serve at meals.
5. PLAN your meals ahead of time. We make better decisions when we plan ahead. Here are a few great recipes to get you started:
- Breakfast: Super Green Smoothie
- Lunch: Hearty Minestrone Soup
- Dinner: Broccoli and Beef
- Snack: Celery Pops
Want more recipes? Looking for something specific? Search through all The Produce Mom recipes here.
Remember the three key points to healthy eating are: Variety, Balance, and Moderation! Make the lifestyle change today by making small changes in your daily routine to achieve your New Year’s goal of eating healthier!
Comment to let me know the FIRST step you are taking to lead a healthier lifestyle this year!
xoxo Produce Mom