“We gotta go”
I wish I had a penny for every time I said one of these phrases. I’m always running late & even worse – always leaving early because I have somewhere else I have to be. I recently started waking up at 4:30am & that’s helped a little. I’m now able to enjoy some peaceful time in the morning before the schedule starts. But 4:30am alarms suck. I don’t suggest it.
My boys are always along for the ride with me, too. If they aren’t at school or asleep, they are with me. Together the three of us (sometimes it’s the 4 of us, with daddy tagging along) rush from one errand or activity to the next. At least 2 times a week we are eating dinner or lunch on the go. And the boys are just like me – they love a snack! We snack almost daily on the go!
Have you seen the movie “One Fine Day?” Remember the purse Michelle Pfeiffer’s character had? It was the never ending purse – whatever her son needed she had in that purse. I carry a cheap knock-off purse that is already ripping at the handles, so there is no way I can house our snack stash or any other random essentials in the Prado. Thank goodness for the minivan! Not only does my 6’6″ athletically-built husband look sexy behind the wheel, but I also have ample space for all the random things the boys & I might need on any given “one fine day.” I always have some, if not all, of the following food items in my van – it has helped me resist the temptation to just hit up a drive-thru when one of the boys starts whining that he’s hungry or when I feel the urge myself:
1. Bottled Water, Juice Boxes & my guilty pleasure: San Pellegrino Limonata
2. Buddy Fruits – Mac’s favorite
3. Calbee Snapea Crisps – Joe’s favorite
4. Bagged Apples from a local orchard – usually Adrian Orchard. which is less than 2 miles from my house!
5. Just Tomatoes! Dehydrated Peas OR sometimes I simply put frozen peas in a baggie or tupperware for the boys. Mac loves them!
6. Raisins, of course. I think raisins are a food group for children under the age of 5!
7. When they are in season – Cutie Clementines
8. Raw Revolution Organic Food Bars. I don’t really like these, but my devil woman Pilates instructor told me to get them. They are healthy & they taste like they are healthy.
9. Chocolove Sea Salt & Almond Chocolate Bar – I might be the produce mom, but I am human! Pass the chocolate, please.
10. Ines Rosales Olive Oil Tortas. 130 calories of pure heaven. Any flavor. Any time. The only place in Indy where you can buy them is Pogue’s Run Grocer.
What are your favorite items for on-the-go snacks? Do you try to prevent the impulse stops at gas stations & fast food restaurants? Since making my van a mobile pantry, I have done much better at avoiding the unhealthy temptation. Good luck & good eating 😉
xoxo Produce Mom